The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Grain Steeping & Wort Aeration Q's

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2009, 09:07 PM   #11
alpo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Generally, yes, if you are comfortable with the process, you can pretty much ignore the kit instructions altogether, with the possible exception of boil times and hop/grain/extract measurements.

Sparging is basically rinsing the grain with hot water to get out as much sugar as you can. You will have to do this whether you go partial or all grain.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2009, 11:19 PM   #12
retired_young
Recipes 

Here's what I've been doing for aeration that works great, fast, and easy.

Since I'm doing a partial boil with 2-3 gallons, I have to water back down the wort to make 5 gallons after chilling anyway. So when I start my boil, I fill another stock pot with very cold tap water and run an aeration stone and aquarium pump into that water for the whole length of time I'm boiling wort. My college chemistry tells me the cold water can achieve a higher O2 saturation than would wort that's 20-30 degrees warmer. So the water I use to top off my wort is pretty well aerated to begin with.

My air hose and aeration stone only ever touch fresh water so they stay nice and sanitary. Best of all, once I top off the wort, I'm ready to pitch, cover, install airlock, and get to cleanup. This saves me 30-60 minutes of elapsed time, and avoids foaming from putting an aeration stone in wort.

I've had nice fast starts to fermentation since starting this method, with both liquid and dry yeast.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:30 PM   #13
KDM
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Hey, I like that, thanks for posting! Also like your handle . . . I retired when I hit 40, nine years ago now.

Cheers, Kurt

Quick Reply