The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Grain mill

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
MSamu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Grain mill

If I don't have a grain mill can I use a coffee grinder on course setting?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

That won't crush the grain, it will cut it. You want to crush the grain.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1829 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 1298

Here's what I came up with for my BIAB pm kit I just bottled. I have an old mini food processor I got from mom berfore she died in the 90's. The kit had 5lbs of grain that I pulsed for 3-4 seconds for each of 3 pulses with 1/2 cup each. Now I realise that the 3-4 seconds per pulse was a bit much,even though I did get an OG of 1.044 out of a range of 1.042-1.046. 2 or 3 seconds for each of 3 pulses might be better in curbing the reqlly fine cloudy stuff. It did settle down to a bit misty when I bottled a lil bit ago though.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Food processors, coffee grinders, etc. are POOR substitutes for an actual barley crusher/grain mill. Cutting grain is far less than ideal. You want the crush to have mostly intact hulls/husks from the grain with less powder. This is why the vast majority use either the ugly mill (look it up) or a proper/roller mill. Roller mills, IMO/IME, do a far better job of crushing the grain and do it easily. Having a large hopper on the mill means you don't need to scoop small amounts in/out to do a batch.

I could only imagine ho wlong it would take if I was crushing my grain 1/2 cup at a time. Considering how my batches are typically in the 14-20# range.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #5
MSamu
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

What about a pasta maker it is just steel rollers that cabe adjusted.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #6
Golddiggie
Recipes 

People that have tried it have reported failures with it. If you look at the rollers on mills, they're knurled. You won't have that on pasta rollers. The knurling is what grabs the grains and runs them through to get crushed.

If you cannot afford to get a mill to crush the grain, then either get it crushed when you purchase it, or find another brewer (close to you) that has a mill and brew with that person (or see if you can run your grain through his mill). I have zero regrets in getting my Monster Mill MM2-2.0. Well, other than not getting it sooner and getting a Barley Crusher first. The mill wasn't cheap, but it's worth it (to me). Plus, chances are I'll be passing the mill along to another generation before it wears out (hardened steel rollers)...

Fermenting
K1:

Old 11-02-2012, 10:27 PM   #7
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Food processors, coffee grinders, etc. are POOR substitutes for an actual barley crusher/grain mill. Cutting grain is far less than ideal. You want the crush to have mostly intact hulls/husks from the grain with less powder. This is why the vast majority use either the ugly mill (look it up) or a proper/roller mill. Roller mills, IMO/IME, do a far better job of crushing the grain and do it easily. Having a large hopper on the mill means you don't need to scoop small amounts in/out to do a batch.

I could only imagine ho wlong it would take if I was crushing my grain 1/2 cup at a time. Considering how my batches are typically in the 14-20# range.
The cool thing about the mini food processor is that I can control the quality of crush. I noticed this when I did it for my 1st pm kit I just bottled. It was a bit misty,& the aroma/taste was just great compared to extract.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:32 PM   #8
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Problem with the mini food processor is you're the one 'controlling the crush' which can be a biotch to get consistent results on. You have no way to know how the 'crush' is, which isn't crush it's a cut/slice. IMO/IME, an adjustable malt mill is the best option. You could use an ugly mill (you won't be able to measure the crush, and it's not a small amount of work to get it set up properly) to do a better crush than the cut.

BTW, even a partial mash batch is going to be better than extract. All grain is another step above.

Fermenting
K1:

Old 11-02-2012, 10:36 PM   #9
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

It did work well enough in a pinch to get the job done for BIAB,which like s a fine crush. I'm going to experiment with less crush to get the right combo for less cloudiness.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #10
Golddiggie
Recipes 

BIAB can be used with a finer crush level than other methods only because the bags used are typically a finer mesh than the false bottoms many use. Also, the stainless braid others use can also be clogged by too much powder.

If it was me, I'd put an actual malt crusher at the top of list of things to get next. Just be sure to get one you'll be happy with for the long term. I wish I had done that with the first mill I purchased. Between short, small diameter, rollers and small hopper, it didn't last long. With the MM2-2.0 I purchased I don't expect to ever need to get another mill. Especially since I went with the hardened rollers. I do like what they have on the product page about the roller steel options now...

"There are three roller material options available for the larger 2" mills. They come standard with 1144 alloy steel, which offers fantastic wear for home brewers. Plain steel mills kept indoors, and used regularly won't have rust issues. Non climate controlled areas, or minimal usage could see some corrosion come up that is easily removed with a wire brush. As an upgrade to 1144 steel we offer 303 Stainless Steel. It will wear just about the same as our 1144 steel, but will not rust. The last option is for our 1144 steel rollers that have been heat treated/hardened. The regular 1144 alloy rollers are heat treated to approximately 51-54 Rockwell C hardness. This upgrade is what you want for any mill used in a commercial environment. Brew shops, breweries, and only extremely prolific home brewers with tons of drinking buddies need to look at this option."

I couldn't see going stainless, since the mill won't be anywhere it would be prone to rust. I saw the hardened option as the best choice (for me)... I'm working on getting more people to drink with me, and will probably end up getting a few more kegs soon.

Fermenting
K1:
iambeer Likes This 

Quick Reply