Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > grain mill

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #1
Matthewjscott
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default grain mill

Does anyone know of a good cheap grain mill?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
agentEhrman
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 29

This Victoria (Corona) Grain Mill with high hopper has been working fine for me, but if you can splurge get a double roller one. I picked mine up at my LHBS for about $50.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Many of us use the corona style mill (the same one that CHarlie Papazian gets 87% efficiency with) that can range anywhere from 15-40 dollars, and can be easily tweaked. We have a big thread on it here. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-ugly-junk-corona-mill-station-90849/

Another option is the modded 20 dollar pasta machine from Michael's Arts and Crafts, plenty of folks are getting great efficiencies with them as well. There is a great thread about that here as well. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/using-pasta-maker-mill-grain-75784/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #4
H-ost
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 108

If you want cheap and you aren't running 10gallon grain bills through it the corona can suit you otherwise yeah you are looking around at least 150$ (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Old 01-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
agentEhrman
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Many of us use the corona style mill (the same one that CHarlie Papazian gets 87% efficiency with) that can range anywhere from 15-40 dollars, and can be easily tweaked. We have a big thread on it here. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-ugly-junk-corona-mill-station-90849/

Another option is the modded 20 dollar pasta machine from Michael's Arts and Crafts, plenty of folks are getting great efficiencies with them as well. There is a great thread about that here as well. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/using-pasta-maker-mill-grain-75784/
Looks like I over paid Ohh well, I support local so that its there when I need it I guess.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:42 PM   #6
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 500 Times on 300 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-ost View Post
If you want cheap and you aren't running 10gallon grain bills through it the corona can suit you otherwise yeah you are looking around at least 150$ (someone correct me if I'm wrong)
I run 12 gallon grain bills through my Corona mill. I do use a heavy-duty drill to power it, though.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoLincoln View Post
I run 12 gallon grain bills through my Corona mill. I do use a heavy-duty drill to power it, though.
Yeah, I've run 20 pound grainbills through mine with a drill. The grainbill size doesn't really matter, no more than any other grainmill.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply