Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Grain differences?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 02:05 AM   #11
b-boy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 589 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by freisste View Post
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but 20L, 30L, 4L, etc are basically the same. I think they are "cooked" differently to get them darker. The L is a unit of darkness.

You should be able to use something close or combine two for an average.

Don't take my word for it.
I'll usually mix and match. If I need a 30L and all I have is a10L and a 40L I'll split the difference. A little 10L and a little 40L. It's better than holding up the whole batch.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 02:08 AM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4948 Times on 3585 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgortel View Post
My guess is that mixing the 20 and 40 equally to approximate the 30 would be better than choosing all 20 or 40.....

Either way I cannot imagine it making a real noticable difference.....
They are similar enough as to not be a huge difference, although an expert could probably pick up the differences, as the 20L is more caramelly sweet while the 40L is still sweet but not as candy-like.

A great way to make a good American amber is to "layer" the crystal malts for depth of flavor. Say, .75 pound of 20L and .75 pound of 80L. It doesn't taste like 1.5 pounds of 60L, though- it's got some caramel sweetness, some toffee notes, and some depth to it, while 1.5 pounds of 60L might be lacking the toffee notes and the caramel and give a different crystal malt flavor.

I would not give a though to subbing 40L for 30L, but I would think more about bigger changes in a recipe depending on what I was hoping to get in the way of flavor.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply