graduating a 5.5 gallon bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackJaqueJanaviac

Reaction score
I decided to mark graduations on my brew bucket so I could get a better handle on my brewing efficiency.

I used a 2 qt glass measuring cup and filled the bucket up. I marked 3 gallons, 4 gallons, 4 1/2 gallons, 5 gallons, 5 1/2 gallons . . . and 6 gallons!

The bottom of the bucket states 5 1/2 gallons. Should I have been able to fit 6 gallons in it with 1/2-inch of room to spare?

Good. I guess. Because I tried calculating my efficiency and got 84% which is fantastic. The only problem is I find this hard to believe because my methods are crude and simple. Someone said my volume measures could be off - but I don't think so now.

Ya, some of my pre marked bucckets have been spot on, and others have been waaaaaay off haha. I have learned with AG is that if you are having issues, simplifying your processes can go a long way so your efficiency calculations could be spot on.

OK. So a 48 qt cooler with a 30-inch SS braid on the bottom, filled with 10 lbs of grain & 20 qts of 153F water; set for 1 hr, stirring every 15 min; drained; filled with another 20 qts (153F) and set for 15 min and drained would not be unusual to yield 84% efficiency?

I decided to mark graduations on my brew bucket so I could get a better handle on my brewing efficiency.

I used a 2 qt glass measuring cup and filled the bucket up. I marked 3 gallons, 4 gallons, 4 1/2 gallons, 5 gallons, 5 1/2 gallons . . . and 6 gallons!

The bottom of the bucket states 5 1/2 gallons. Should I have been able to fit 6 gallons in it with 1/2-inch of room to spare?

My experience is that the painted markings on measuring cups are not necessarily accurate, either.

The buckets have sloping, not straight vertical, sides, but you could still do a rough check using a volume calculation based on the diameter of the bucket and depths at your markings.

Back