Good stout/porter kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenderloud

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I'm about to embark on my first home brew and wondered if anyone could recommend a good stout kit, there seem to be so many available.

I like my beers dark and heavy chocolatey:)

I like this one from Midwest Supplies. The recipe on the box says it contains 4 oz of chocolate malt (chocolaty flavor) and 4 oz roasted barley (about double what I usually do) for the dark, roasty flavor. I've brewed this kit and like it. Be aware that with the dark grains it will take some time to mature and be good to drink. I would recommend a 3 week fermentation and another 2 to 3 months in the bottle.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/irish-stout.html

They offer an upgrade to premium dry yeast for a dollar. Take them up on that offer, it will be worth it.

I have a Northern Brewer Oatmeal Stout all grain batch bottle conditioning right now. I tried one at 2 weeks and it was amazingly delicious, though a little green tasting. I think in another week or two this beer will be amazing. The only thing I did differently than the instructions was to rack to a secondary over 3 split vanilla beans for 8 days. But so far, I have no problem recommending this kit or even their extract version of it.

I've tasted five of my AHS kits in these categories and have been happy:
AHS Dry Stout
Redhook Double Black Stout (drinking my second brew, the only rebrew I've done)
Anchor Porter (came the best of this list, and second best of all brews I've done)
AHS Holiday Chocolate Stout
AHS Munich Spiced Porter.

and a sixth is conditioning: AHS Oaked Imperial Whiskey Stout.

I've brewed Midwest's partial mash stout kit. Came out as a great beer, it just takes some time to age as other posters have mentioned. Mine was very drinkable after a month in the bottle.

I have made Brewer's Best Irish Stout, just bottled it the other day. But out of the secondary it tasted great.

not a kit, but here's a recipe for you. it's for a one gallon batch, so you will have to scale up

i'm drinking one, right now, and it's pretty tasty

Dads' No Quarter Porter

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
226.00 g 39.72 % Briess DME 60 mins
226.00 g 39.72 % Briess DME 15 mins
47.00 g 8.26 % Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L 60 mins
47.00 g 8.26 % Chocolate Malt 60 mins
23.00 g 4.04 % Black (Patent) Malt 60 mins

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
2.00 g 19.51 Nugget 60 mins 13.30