Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Good Starter kit?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2009, 01:31 PM   #11
jrodincincy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

After reading through John Palmer's online book I see that most lagers require around 8wks and temps as low as 34F. I can do the time easily for I am a pretty pateint man, but I don't think I have a way of maintaining that temp unless I surrender my fridge for that whole time. hehe

I still would love to brew a lager, I love Dark (Dunkel) Lager. I don't think I've ever had one that was undrinkable. Though I doubt I would ever touch the quality and taste of the Dunkel I can get at our Hofbrahaus here in Cincy (N.KY.)

I'm usually not a big fan of Ales. Would maybe a good Heffe Weizen be easier for a beginner or should I just belly up and go for a simple Ale? I drink Ales from time to time, but not as much as I love my Lagers and Heffe Weizen's.

I also noticed Dobble Bock is not exactly the easiest or shortest to brew either.I'll be attending "Bock Fest" this year here in cincy, so I'll just get my fill there!

Thank you for everyones responses!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2009, 01:45 PM   #12
strider
Recipes 

A hefe would be a good choice. Simple, and quick. How can you not like ales though with the gargantuan varieties U are correct on the doppelbocks. Also require lagering and with the huge emphasis on malt, I'm waiting to go AG before trying one. I'm sure ppl would disagree with me on that though.

Primary 1: Palace Bitter
Primary 2: BC Rouge Dead Guy Clone
Primary 3: Hefeweizen
Secondary 1: Traditional Mead
Secondary 2: Toasty Palace ESB
Bottle Con: Goats Heavy Scrotum Porter
Bottled: Nothing:(
Next: APA or Irish Red

Old 01-21-2009, 02:04 PM   #13
jrodincincy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
How can you not like ales though with the gargantuan varieties
Maybe I've just been trying the wrong ones. Any suggestions on good commercial Ales I can find at the local grocery or liquor store?

In in the cincinnati area we have two places that carry almost any kind of beer you could think of, so I should be able to find close to anything.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:16 PM   #14
secinarot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodincincy View Post
I'm usually not a big fan of Ales.
Try brewing a Blonde Ale. Though I have not tried it yet, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde recipe from this site is very lager-like.
On Deck: Pale Ale

Old 01-21-2009, 04:16 PM   #15
strider
Recipes 

oi.... I am not good at recommending beer cause I like a huge range of beers. I also don't know what markets tend to carry (i live in mass) or really what ur tastes are. Lets see... if u like doppelbocks you might enjoy skullsplitter. Good luck finding that in a market however. It is quite a big beer with a lot of complexities but strong on the malt. Hmmm... let me think about it for a bit.

Primary 1: Palace Bitter
Primary 2: BC Rouge Dead Guy Clone
Primary 3: Hefeweizen
Secondary 1: Traditional Mead
Secondary 2: Toasty Palace ESB
Bottle Con: Goats Heavy Scrotum Porter
Bottled: Nothing:(
Next: APA or Irish Red

Old 01-21-2009, 04:28 PM   #16
alpo
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

If you have a friend that home brews, you can get the most for your money by having him help you pick out items on craigslist.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:13 PM   #17
Shawn Hargreaves
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodincincy View Post
Maybe I've just been trying the wrong ones. Any suggestions on good commercial Ales I can find at the local grocery or liquor store?
I get the impression you like maltier, smoother beers and not so much hoppiness?

If so I would recommend:
  • Any kind of Scottish ale
  • English browns and milds
  • Belgian Wit (eg. Hoegaarden)
  • In fact you should try anything Belgian you can get your hands on :-)

Old 01-21-2009, 09:28 PM   #18
NewBrew75
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just paid $65 for a five gallon carboy and plastic fermentor the other day at my LBHS. I know he's kinda expensive, but I would have been better off just buying the kit you're talking about. My first kit was well over $100 and was similar to yours. Where did you find that?

Old 01-22-2009, 01:30 PM   #19
jrodincincy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBrew75 View Post
Where did you find that?
Just at Midwest Brewing Supplies. Brewing Starter Kit :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

Shawn, I think you hit the nail on the head there with my preferences. While I can enjoy one or two of almost anything I still have my desired tastes. One of those beers you listed "Hoegaarden" is actually a beer on my list to try. I've just been too lazy lately to activly search for it.
Also, now that you mention it I do enjoy "Newcastle" every now and again. I like it better on draft, but then again what beer isn't better on draft?

Thank you everyone for your replies. This is helping me greatly!
Now I just need to get the kit and set a date to dedicate to brewing glorious adult beverages!!

**EDIT**
I just remembered my Father has a nice big propane burner for his turkey fryer! I could just go out any buy a new kettle and us the propane burner instead of stove top. Then I could use a large kettle!

Last edited by jrodincincy; 01-22-2009 at 02:41 PM.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:37 PM   #20
jrodincincy
Recipes 

Ok, so I went out last night and tried "Full Sail IPA" and I must say it was delicious. I just think the reason behind me not being very open to Ales at first was that I never drank them.

I'm in exterimental mode now and will be trying others soon.

Quick Reply