Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Good recipe to start out with?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
dmcg1230
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Good recipe to start out with?

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to the whole process of homebrewing. I made one batch of IPA that I never got to see to completion (it was lost in a pretty nasty car accident), so I've gone through the boiling stage as well as done a little bit of fermentation monitoring (it was still in the primary though).

I'm looking for another good recipe to start out with. I wanted to try and do a wheat beer with an orange-y flavor, similar to a UFO white or Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat, but I'm wondering if this is a little to advanced.

Do any experienced brewer's have any input?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Do you brew extract or all-grain? I have a pretty good extract Saison recipe that sounds very close to what you are looking for. It has lots of wheat malt, and some orange peel. If you are comfortable with extract + steeping grains I can post it for you.

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

Old 10-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
DonMagee
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcg1230 View Post
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to the whole process of homebrewing. I made one batch of IPA that I never got to see to completion (it was lost in a pretty nasty car accident), so I've gone through the boiling stage as well as done a little bit of fermentation monitoring (it was still in the primary though).

I'm looking for another good recipe to start out with. I wanted to try and do a wheat beer with an orange-y flavor, similar to a UFO white or Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat, but I'm wondering if this is a little to advanced.

Do any experienced brewer's have any input?

Thanks!
Isn't Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat blueberry flavored? I'm not a fruit beer guy, but I thought it was. I found a quick google that Austin Homebrew sells a extract clone kit of that beer. Maybe give that a shot.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
dmcg1230
Recipes 

My IPA was done with extract and I steeped the grains at around 170 degrees F (basically just followed the instructions in the ingredient kit)

Old 10-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
dmcg1230
Recipes 

Oh and DonMagee, Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat is kind of a blueberry beer and I was probably thinking of the coriander flavor which is in it

Old 10-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
billl
Recipes 

Liked 270 Times on 227 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Definitely get another kit. A wheat beer would be a great starting point - medium gravity, nothing crazy, and will taste good without any real aging. If you could follow the directions to add the hops at the right time, you'll have no trouble tossing in some orange peel or coriander in a similar fashion.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #7
dmcg1230
Recipes 

Thanks! When is the best time to add the orange peel and coriander? I have both a primary and secondary fermenter

Old 10-01-2012, 08:42 PM   #8
billl
Recipes 

Liked 270 Times on 227 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Most wit recipes will have you adding them in the last 5-10 minutes of the boil.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #9
billf2112
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Agree with Bill above, the kits will tell you to use a primary and a secondary which is a waste of time and energy, just extend the primary out.

Bill from Pa

On Deck: Irish Stout,
Primary: Pumpkin Ale
Secondary: Empty
Completed: Red, Wit and Blue, Irish Stout, Red Ale, German Style Amber Lager, All Grain Brews: Irish Red Ale, American Stout, Honey Weizen

Old 10-02-2012, 09:35 PM   #10
dmcg1230
Recipes 

Wow that's very surprising. I've been reading a lot online on how two-stage fermentation was better for the wort

Quick Reply