Good place for a starter kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D*Bo

Reaction score
I was thinking it would be good to list places for new brewers to get a near complete kit
and addditional items to think about getting.

I got mine from www.HomeBrewHeaven.com
It includes 6-Gallon Primary Fermentor, 5-Gallon Glass Carboy, 2 Airlocks with Stoppers, 4-ft Siphon Hose, Racking Cane and Clip, Bottle Filler, BENCH Capper, Caps, Wort Chiller (your choice of indoor or outdoor model), Carboy and Bottle Washer, Sanitizer, Cleaner, Thermometer,Hydrometer with Test Jar, Carboy Brush, Bottle Brush, Instructional Book (Papizan's) & Video.
You can add your first beer kit with it (some have specialty grains)
Only complaint with the kit, the 6 gal primary. It's a bit small for bigger beers, not enough head space. I ended up getting bigger buckets and turned it into my bottling bucket.
You might also want to get a longer piece of tubing, a 5' piece allows for eiser transfering when going from counter to floor. The tubing can coil a little in the bottom of the container for "quieter" transfering.

Palmers book How to Brew.

there are a lot of threads about this sort of thing on the forums, but having additional sources for beginner kits is always good.

That said... I think your kit might have been a little on the pricey side, based on the prices I saw on the website. I'd have to price it out to be sure, but I'm pretty sure you could get all of that stuff for a little cheaper than $170.

-walker

I have advised to several of my friends who I have sucked into the home brew hobby to look on ebay for the glass carboys. The beginners kits are well stocked that I have reviewed and the buckets are awsome for filling with sanitizers and being ready to catch the spills as they happen...

gauthierk said:
I have advised to several of my friends who I have sucked into the home brew hobby to look on ebay for the glass carboys. The beginners kits are well stocked that I have reviewed and the buckets are awsome for filling with sanitizers and being ready to catch the spills as they happen...

I actually bought my kegging equipment before my brewing stuff (I know cart before the horse), but I think I'd be a little worried about the combination of glass and mail. Isn't that a big issue? ...Especially from a person that's just selling and not stocking stuff.

I was going to visit a LHBS for the basics and get things that aren't so fragile from various internet sources.

I've been making wine for a little while, so I have quite a few carboys. I ordered almost all of them over the internet, so they were all shipped. Cases of Grolsch bottles, regular beer bottles, and carboys all came either UPS or USPS parcel post with no problems at all. Shipping does had quite a bit to the cost, though, so it pays to shop around online, or buy from your LHBS.

Online, my favorites are Lil Ole Winemaker Shoppe- http://shopping.virtualvision.net/lilolewinemakershopp/index.cfm (Wausau, WI) and Austin Home Brew (austinhomebrew.com). AHS has free shipping over $60, but their prices may be slightly higher. Both have good customer service (I've had to call them both-my own fault, not theirs!).

Lorena

They are usually packaged pretty well.

I am a strong proponent of buying from your local home brew shop, but as far as the starter kits go you can get a far better deal on line. Infact my LHBS's have recommened online stores for beginner kits and a few specialty items because the online stores can offer them for a lot less money.

I pieced my gear together from my LHBS and it came out slightly under the cost of thier "Starter Kit". I did add in another 6.5 carboy and a few other little bits and pieces. All told I spent about $125 for 2 of the carboys, 5ft hose, a couple of airlocks, a carboy cap, bottle filler, caps, etc....
Plus te ingredients for two brews.

I am a firm believer in pricing things out as some companies charge more money since they have done the legwork. I enjoy strolling through the isles and picking out exactly what I want.
Bottom line is if you don't need everything in the "kit", then maybe it's not the right thing for you. Why pay for what you don't need?
Just my .02.
R/Cam

That does sound like a real nice kit, although probably a little bit more equipment that a beginner would need. Wort chiller would be nice, I'll get (or prolly build) one at some point, but I'm fine with water baths as long as I'm doing partial boils. I'm a little surprised it didn't include two buckets; is the bucket you use for primary also supposed to be the bottling bucket? I'm sure there will be many times you want to bottle something that's been in the secondary, but the primary is occupied; seems like it should have included a second bucket.

By "instuctional book," do you mean Complete Joy of Homebrewing, or something shorter?

I guess my preference would be to do a basic kit for $60 - $80 (like mine), then add some of these other things over time (and maybe a carboy right away).

Beer Snob said:
That actually sounds like a real good deal. I am not FULLY sure about the better bottles, but I might be old school on this....

I went for the Glass Carboys instead of the Better Bottles (same price)

Back