The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Good God Almighty, It's ready!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2008, 02:11 AM   #1
BrewHerc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Good God Almighty, It's ready!!!!

My first batch is ready to bottle. It's been in the primary for 20 days. Stable SG from the hydrometer. Man, I'm not sure if homebrewing is for me. The waiting game just kills me. I think my solution is to have more primary fermenters to have multiple batches at the same time. I took a small sample and it was pretty darn good for a flat beer.

Here's an ethical question, is it wrong for my 8 year old daughter to help me bottle this stuff?

WooooHoooooo!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2008, 02:14 AM   #2
Kelsch
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Build the pipeline, my man!!

As far as ethics go, I am not one to offer advice... but bottling should be fine, helping you empty bottles for the next batch might be iffy, though.

No trees were killed in the posting of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:17 AM   #3
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Nothing wrong with letting your daughter help out, I know mine really enjoys the "daddy-daughter" time no matter what we're doing.

I hear you on the waiting, I secondary most of my beers after 10 days just so I can free up my primary for another batch. I've had 2 going at once since late August

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber

Old 11-16-2008, 02:18 AM   #4
BrewHerc
Recipes 

Dude, she's as pumped as I am to put this stuff in a bottle. But, I couldn't pay her to take a sip, not that I would anyway. She just likes to make stuff, you ought to see her in our garden.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:18 AM   #5
zac
Thread Killer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 150 Posts

What kinda beer is it? 20 days is 10 longer than I let my first beer go! THE solution is to have many, many primaries. I have 7 in use now, and two more I could press into service at any time.

8yr old bottling beer? eigh. either way, It'd give ya'll some quality time. Might even open the convo as to why alcohol is bad if you're underage. You can be an example of responsible use.

congrats. get ready for the best beer you've ever drank! where yuh from?

Old 11-16-2008, 02:23 AM   #6
BrewHerc
Recipes 

It's a brown ale extract kit from the LHBS. We're from central Arkansas. I think the next attempt will have to be a partial mash IPA, done according to Deathbrewers method. More Primaries is definitely a must, I can see why most of you guys have so many beers going at once in your sigs.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:31 AM   #7
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The waiting has been killing me also and this is not my first time as a brewer. I brewed for years a long time ago and when I started again a couple months ago I have simply gone nuts with it.

I have 5 primaries going right now. plus 2 secondaries. Yet, because I'm supposed to bottle a batch tomorrow I am already getting excited that I will have a free carboy and can brew again.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:10 AM   #8
joe6pack
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontman View Post
The waiting has been killing me also and this is not my first time as a brewer. I brewed for years a long time ago and when I started again a couple months ago I have simply gone nuts with it.

I have 5 primaries going right now. plus 2 secondaries. Yet, because I'm supposed to bottle a batch tomorrow I am already getting excited that I will have a free carboy and can brew again.
I hear that. I am big time disappointed that my brown ale is going to need more primary time because it delays the next batch by about a week. Oh well, what can you do (besides buy an @$$ ton of carboys )

I give up trying to keep this signature current.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:52 PM   #9
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Congrats on getting the first batch to bottling day.

> The waiting game just kills me.

It gets easier when you have a few batches in the pipeline.

> I think my solution is to have more primary fermenters to have multiple batches at the same time.

Right. Or at least keeping the primary filled at all times.

> Here's an ethical question, is it wrong for my 8 year old daughter to help me bottle this stuff?

It's a great idea. You get a chance to spend time together, practice hand/eye dexterity, and discuss the responsible use of alchohol if you think it's appropriate. Remember that the deity of brewing is a goddess and females have historically been incredibly important in household brewing, particularly in ancient times. Circle of life and all that.

Batch history | yeast slants | Suspending yeast

Last edited by fratermus; 11-16-2008 at 12:52 PM. Reason: another dorked-quote. I'm on a roll this morning.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:58 PM   #10
natelatte
Recipes 

sounds like a fun family project

and yes.. many many more carboys

Primary:Edwort's Apfelwein X 2,
Secondary: German Altbier, Vanilla Cream Ale
Kegged and Waiting:Empty
On Tap: Oktoberfest, DunkelWeizen
Up Next: Hefe, Newcastle Clone