Good First Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slingshot81

Reaction score
Hey All, just wondering if anyone could recommend a good, flavorful first beer recipe for me?

I'll be using a 6 gallon carboy.

I was thinking pale ale?

Thanks!

Edwort's haus pale ale. Its also listed as bee cave brewery haus pale ale.

Edit: all grain, extract or partial mash?

Have to order a kit?

I was looking to get all the ingredients from my LHBS, they have a good selection.

Also wanted something quick...

I'd do something that will ferment fast. My first beer was a chocolate stout was 6 weeks before I was drinking it.... Drove me nuts waiting. My second beer was a Session kit from Austin Home Brew (pale ale) went from fermenter to bottle in 10 days, carded in 7. If I had brewed it right after my first beer it would have been ready before the stout.

So Something fast or the wait will drive you nuts.

Brown ale 1 week in primary secondary 2 weeks and bottle conditioning 1 week same with red ale

I really think it depends on what you like to drink.

I wouldn't like to brew any of the suggestions above. This doesn't mean they are bad suggestions, just that they don't suit my palate.

I would suggest a special bitter (because that is what I like to drink). But if you don't like special bitters, it would not be a good suggestion.

-a.

What do you like? If you like stouts, make a stout! If you like amber ales, then make that.

All of the recipes for any standard ales are equally "easy" so think about what you'd like to drink, maybe a commercial beer comes to mind, and make that. We can help you with a recipe. I like IPAs, so that's what I'd make but it might not be for your.

I love IPA's and pale ales, hoppy full beers. Amber ales

I was kinda just looking for a really easy recipe that I can drink in a few weeks

I love IPA's and pale ales, hoppy full beers. Amber ales

I was kinda just looking for a really easy recipe that I can drink in a few weeks

you can turn around an IPA or APA pretty quick, even if you're bottling. i love coming up with recipes, so here's a really simple extract with steeping grains recipe for an IPA. for hops i'm using my faves, you can change these out for any hops, but i highly recommend the Simcoe/Amarillo combo. centennial, cascade, columbus, chinook, and many more are great in IPA....

6.6# (one large jug) extra light LME
3.3# (small jug) light/golden LME
.5# crystal 20
.5# crystal 60
.25# victory/biscuit
1 oz Horizon pellets @ 60 mins
1 oz Simcoe pellets @ 10 mins
1 oz Amarillo pellets @ 5 min
.5 oz Simcoe/.5 oz Amarillo or 1 oz Cascade @ flameout.

let the kettle steep for ~10 mins after the boil. chill, aerate and pitch 2 packs of Safale us-05 yeast.

after fermentation is complete, dry hop for one week with 2 ozs of the same hops used at flameout.

that'll get you one nice IPA. :rockin:

Wow that sounds great man. Thanks alot!

you can turn around an IPA or APA pretty quick, even if you're bottling. i love coming up with recipes, so here's a really simple extract with steeping grains recipe for an IPA. for hops i'm using my faves, you can change these out for any hops, but i highly recommend the Simcoe/Amarillo combo. centennial, cascade, columbus, chinook, and many more are great in IPA....

6.6# (one large jug) extra light LME
3.3# (small jug) light/golden LME
.5# crystal 20
.5# crystal 60
.25# victory/biscuit
1 oz Horizon pellets @ 60 mins
1 oz Simcoe pellets @ 10 mins
1 oz Amarillo pellets @ 5 min
.5 oz Simcoe/.5 oz Amarillo or 1 oz Cascade @ flameout.

let the kettle steep for ~10 mins after the boil. chill, aerate and pitch 2 packs of Safale us-05 yeast.

after fermentation is complete, dry hop for one week with 2 ozs of the same hops used at flameout.

that'll get you one nice IPA. :rockin:

I have a few questions being this is my first time.

So, I get a pot of water going. 2.5 gallons?

I put in my grains and mix my malt, then let steep at 160 for 1 hr?

I then drain that through a filter and boil for 1 hr adding hops along the way?

Once done I transfer to an ice bath and cool to 70 deg?

Am I getting this right?

Am I getting this right?

steep the grains for ~30 mins @ ~155. add the extract while the kettle's off the burner, return to heat, boil adding hops at the correct times. after the boil, let the flameout hops steep for ~10 mins, then chill to ~70, transfer to fermenter, top off to ~5 gal (5.25 would be a good vol to get 5 gal after fermentation). aerate, pitch yeast and patiently wait for good beer.

Yeah, Blain, that kit looks nice!

Hopefully I will find something that quick!

AHS Pale ale is the only one I've brewed off that list but it was damn fine, of course hasn't been a beer I've met yet I didn't like

Am I getting this right?

No.

Steep the grains at 150-160 for 20 minutes in a grainbag, then throw them away. Bring that liquid up to a boil, then proceed with adding the extract and hops per the recipe.

You think my first brew should be an all grain?

No. Use the extract version, or buy a nice kit from northernbrewer.com or austinhomebrew.com. They have great kits, fresh ingredients, and excellent instructions.

Back