Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Good day today!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2010, 02:00 PM   #1
akthor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Default Good day today!!!!

So I had my first batch that was slow to ferment. Made a Graff Sat. and by last night at 11 pm? Nothing. ( I think now it was my airlock was too full which mislead me )

And yesterday I pitched the slurry from an Apfelwein into a batch of Skeeter pee I had ready to go. Skeeter Pee can be tricky to get fermenting so I was worried I would have problems with that too.

Woke up this morning and the skeeter pee was bubbling away. I looked at my graff bucket and the airlock water looked really full. Sucked some water out of it and replaced the airlock cap and it started bubbling away nicely.

Phew!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2010, 02:04 PM   #2
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by akthor View Post
So I had my first batch that was slow to ferment. Made a Graff Sat. and by last night at 11 pm? Nothing. ( I think now it was my airlock was too full which mislead me )

And yesterday I pitched the slurry from an Apfelwein into a batch of Skeeter pee I had ready to go. Skeeter Pee can be tricky to get fermenting so I was worried I would have problems with that too.

Woke up this morning and the skeeter pee was bubbling away. I looked at my graff bucket and the airlock water looked really full. Sucked some water out of it and replaced the airlock cap and it started bubbling away nicely.

Phew!!!
I have a batch of skeeter pee on an apfelwein slurry right now. do you have yours in a bucket or a carboy under airlock?
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 10-13-2010, 06:11 PM   #3
akthor
Recipes 

In a 5 gallon bucket with a blow off tube. I only made the batch 5 gallons not 5 1/2. I have a bunch of 5 gal food grade buckets I got for free from a bakery. I use them for all my non beer stuff. I use blow off tubes on them all. Easier, no worries and the big jugs of water with star san I put the blow off tubes in never need to be checked or filled for long term stuff like Apfelwein. Leaves my 3 - 6.5 gallan buckets free to brew beer.

I tasted my first batch of Apfelwein as I kegged it and it was very "white wine" tasting to me not sure if I will like it I am not a wine guy but I am sure all my friends and the gals that do drink wine will enjoy it. Plus if I can use the slurry to make Skeeter Pee which I am sure I will love it's a bonus.

The batch I just kegged and used for the skeeter pee was Apple, pineapple, Cran/rasp Apfelwein and to me it tasted better. Sweeter, more fruit flavor. Can't wait to see what the Skeeter Pee tastes like I made from it.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:27 PM   #4
mr_bell
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Please fill me in, what's skeeter pee?

Old 10-13-2010, 06:36 PM   #5
akthor
Recipes 

http://www.skeeterpee.com/Skeeter_Pee/Recipe.html

Old 10-13-2010, 11:21 PM   #6
akthor
Recipes 

Wow I thoought Apfelwein had an active fermentation. That skeeter pee is bubbling like mad thanks goodness I have a blowoff tube on it.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:59 PM   #7
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by akthor View Post
Wow I thoought Apfelwein had an active fermentation. That skeeter pee is bubbling like mad thanks goodness I have a blowoff tube on it.
Funny.. my first batch just got fizzy when fermenting.. the apfelwein batch went NUTS and almost foamed over my bucket.
BALDGUT BREWS

Quick Reply