The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Good Choice for a first brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2008, 07:59 AM   #1
MX1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Default Good Choice for a first brew

I am doing all of my research and plan on starting my first brew in about a month.

I would like to try something like Killians Irish Red, and I am pretty sure it is a Lager, even though most people say to use the red ale kits.

Would this kit

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/produ...px?ProdID=3426 be a good choice to start with?

Also, any other suggestions on what to try and brew first would be great.

Thanks
Tim

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2008, 09:57 AM   #2
Awfers
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

According to Wikipedia, it is a lager.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killian's

It should be an ale

A lot of people start with a brown ale or even an American Wheat beer because they are considered "easy".

I personally did a "bitter" as my first beer, an English brown ale (John Bull extract I think..) as it was what came with the kit from my LHBS.

The kit you mention requires that you steep the grains in water prior to adding the malt extract. Stuff that some would considered a bit technical for a "first timer". But you can make your first beer whatever you want really.

Just enjoy and have fun!

Cheers,
Awfers

Old 05-28-2008, 10:41 AM   #3
MX1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
The kit you mention requires that you steep the grains in water prior to adding the malt extract. Stuff that some would considered a bit technical for a "first timer". But you can make your first beer whatever you want really.
It seems that most of the kits Ilook at have grains that need to be steeped. If anyone could suggest an easy starter brew, that would be really helpful.

Tim

Old 05-28-2008, 10:58 AM   #4
MikeB
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX1 View Post
It seems that most of the kits Ilook at have grains that need to be steeped. If anyone could suggest an easy starter brew, that would be really helpful.

Tim
If you can make tea, you can steep grains. The first kit I ever did was the Irish Red from Northern Brewer, which included steeping grains, and it came out fine. The key is to keep a close enough eye on the water that it doesn't get too hot during the steep. That's it.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:46 AM   #5
sigmund
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
If you can make tea, you can steep grains. The first kit I ever did was the Irish Red from Northern Brewer, which included steeping grains, and it came out fine. The key is to keep a close enough eye on the water that it doesn't get too hot during the steep. That's it.
That's the same Irish Red I did and the beer was great. Nice easy recipe, and as already stated, steeping is easy, just maintain your temperature for that period. You're going to have to watch your boil no matter which recipe you make, might as well get used to early in the game.

Burkey Street Brewery

Quick Reply