Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Good or bad idea to bottle after 12 days?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 03:31 AM   #1
SurlyBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Good or bad idea to bottle after 12 days?

I made a pale ale on Nov the 2nd, OG of 1.051. I used wlp007 with a starter and the beer was finished and clear after 8 days. I racked it to a secondary fermenter to age and eventually dry hop. My question is should I dry hop it for a few days, cold crash, and then bottle it before I go on vacation. This would make 12 days after pitching the yeast. Or should I let it sit in the secondary for a few weeks and then dry hop and bottle when I get back? What sort of results can I expect from rushing it and bottling quickly? I could just let it condition in the bottle vs. A secondary. Thoughts?

Primary: Chinook/Simcoe Black IPA, Scottish Wee Heavy

Bottled: Dunkelweizen, Caribou Slobber Ale, Smooth Nut Brown Ale, Surly Furious Clone, Amarillo Pale Ale, Falconers Flight IPA, Citra Pale Ale (Award Winner), Blue Moon Clone, Simcoe/Citra/Amarillo Pale Ale, English India Pale Ale, Cream ale, Liberty Cream ale, 2012 Harvest Ale, Dog Fish Head 60 Min, Cream of Three Crops

Kegged: KarmaCitra Pale Ale, Land Down Under Pale Ale (Motueka, Nelson Sauvin, & Aus Galaxy hops)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 03:33 AM   #2
Slainte-brew
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you don't know that fermentation is done by taking a FG reading then let it wait. It will turn out better and you won't get bottle bombs. Dry hop after you get back.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:52 AM   #3
SurlyBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

It's done fermenting. The FG at is 1.006...

Primary: Chinook/Simcoe Black IPA, Scottish Wee Heavy

Bottled: Dunkelweizen, Caribou Slobber Ale, Smooth Nut Brown Ale, Surly Furious Clone, Amarillo Pale Ale, Falconers Flight IPA, Citra Pale Ale (Award Winner), Blue Moon Clone, Simcoe/Citra/Amarillo Pale Ale, English India Pale Ale, Cream ale, Liberty Cream ale, 2012 Harvest Ale, Dog Fish Head 60 Min, Cream of Three Crops

Kegged: KarmaCitra Pale Ale, Land Down Under Pale Ale (Motueka, Nelson Sauvin, & Aus Galaxy hops)

Old 11-11-2012, 06:48 AM   #4
WiscoMan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If it was me, I would follow this schedule:

2 weeks in Secondary, then

Dry hop for 5 days, then

Cold Crash for 4 days, then

BOTTLE

You were probably better off keeping it in the primary for 3-4 weeks then racking it to secondary and dry hopping right away. Overall, its better to let the beer clear and condition in bulk rather than individual bottles. Give it the time it needs in the secondary and go enjoy your vacation!

Bottle Conditioning:

Quick Reply