Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Gonna try my first (I?)IPA in a few weeks 2 questions (1 for grains 1 for yeast)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2009, 10:04 PM   #1
Dark_Knight7096
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Gonna try my first (I?)IPA in a few weeks 2 questions (1 for grains 1 for yeast)

I have been reading in a lot of recipes that you are supposed to "rinse" the grains after you are done steeping them with 2 cups of boiling water. Would a sufficient way of doing this be to put the grain bag into a strainer and pour the 2 cups of water over that bag so all the water drains into the pot? If not, what is the proper way of doing this step.

I have seen a lot on the internet that when brewing high gravity beer it may be necessary to pitch the yeast in 2 parts or make a yeast starter. If I have a beer coming out of the primary could I just pour a high gravity wort onto the yeast cake in the bottom and have that be sufficient as there is already a very large amount of yeast that is ready to go active in there?

Thanks again for all the help you guys have been providing me

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2009, 10:08 PM   #2
mkade
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

As far as the rinsing goes, that will work. I might suggest more like 170 or 180 degrees, though instead of boiling. As far as the yeast goes, you definitely should pitch more than a vial for most beers, especially bigger beers. Use Jamil's pitching rate calculator: Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator

Old 04-01-2009, 04:19 AM   #3
SeamusMac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I use Mr. Malty's pitching rate calculator for all my brews now. I never had a problem just pitching the yeast (both dry and liquid) straight into my wort, but I believe that there are benefits to having a large number of healthy and active yeast ready to do battle.

Primary: Edwort's Apfelwein
Primary: Brewingcentres Pale Ale
Primary: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat

Kegged: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat
Kegged: Brewcraft - Enhanced Dutch Lager
On Tap: Brewcraft - Irish Stout

Old 04-01-2009, 12:23 PM   #4
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight7096 View Post
I have been reading in a lot of recipes that you are supposed to "rinse" the grains after you are done steeping them with 2 cups of boiling water. Would a sufficient way of doing this be to put the grain bag into a strainer and pour the 2 cups of water over that bag so all the water drains into the pot? If not, what is the proper way of doing this step.

I have seen a lot on the internet that when brewing high gravity beer it may be necessary to pitch the yeast in 2 parts or make a yeast starter. If I have a beer coming out of the primary could I just pour a high gravity wort onto the yeast cake in the bottom and have that be sufficient as there is already a very large amount of yeast that is ready to go active in there?

Thanks again for all the help you guys have been providing me
Yeast cake for a IIPA is a *great* idea... I racked a 1.068 IPA onto an S-04 cake from a blonde ale and it blew through the fermentation in 2 1/2 days at 66*F. No worries about a stuck fermentation or too high of a FG that way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 04-02-2009, 03:10 PM   #5
Dark_Knight7096
Recipes 

Thanks a lot guys
Figured my reasoning was sound but i'd rather measure twice and cut once, so to speak.

Sorry i didn't respond earlier, I've been sick the past few days

Quick Reply