Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Golden Strong Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2011, 06:04 PM   #1
dolphy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Golden Strong Ale

So I picked up a partial mash kit for a golden strong ale. I plan on doing a starter yeast and I have a temperature controlled fermentation chamber. The guy at my LHBS said to start it at 65 degrees and increase the temperature by 1 degree a day until it hits about 70.

He also said that this beer needs to age longer. How long do you guys think it should stay in the fermentation bucket after the gravity has stopped changing? Also, how long should i bottle condition them for? I've read at least a couple of months.

Anything else I should be aware of?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
davefleck
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It should rise to 70 pretty easily on its own.

How long will depend on the yeast type. Of course it can vary from batches. Extra time is always good. Don't rush it and don't try to keep the temp low. The yeast might stall

Old 09-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
Tinga
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

your lhbs guy gave you good advice. I would do staggered sugar additions. If your recipe has some candy sugar like some strong golden ales do I would add maybe a pound a couple days after fermentation has started and another addition a couple days after that.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:43 PM   #4
shawnbou
Zyme Lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I have a golden strong ale I'm drinking now that was in primary for 6 weeks and then aged in a carboy for about another month before bottling. All in all it was 77 days from brew day to bottling, and as soon as it was carbed up, it was delicious.

Read my brewing blog here! Last of the Zyme Lords

BOUSIRIS BOUERY - Home of the Zyme Lord
The cans of Leinenkugel's had masking tape on them with JOHN'S printed in ink. Amy looked around me and said, "John is protective about his beer, isn't he?"
"I put that label on there. When company comes I want them to know the Leinie's is his, not mine."
- David Wong

On Tap:
Anna Livia Irish Stout
Gondor IPA
Melancholy Bill's Infinitely Sad Pumpkin Ale
Lucian's Landing Ginger Metheglin

Old 09-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #5
Tinga
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnbou View Post
I have a golden strong ale I'm drinking now that was in primary for 6 weeks and then aged in a carboy for about another month before bottling. All in all it was 77 days from brew day to bottling, and as soon as it was carbed up, it was delicious.
This is basically what I did with mine. Primary for about a month and a half then bulk age for a bit. I did mine for 2 months. IIRC There are some arguments that it is better to bulk age then to age in bottles.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:01 PM   #6
944play
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinga View Post
your lhbs guy gave you good advice.
QFT!

Old 09-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #7
dolphy
Recipes 

If I bulk age after say, 6 weeks in the primary, how important is the temperature during the aging process? Reason being is that my fermentation chamber can only fit 1 carboy/bucket at a time and I will want to brew something else while it ages.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:51 PM   #8
shawnbou
Zyme Lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Generally speaking, temperature is not as important once the fermentation is complete. I bulk age in a dark closet at room temperature all the time - including the golden strong I was talking about earlier. That closet stays between 72-78 year round.

But you don't want to let it get too warm. For example, I would never bulk age in my pantry because it gets to 85 in there easily during the day.

What's the ambient temperature of the room you'll be storing it in?

Read my brewing blog here! Last of the Zyme Lords

BOUSIRIS BOUERY - Home of the Zyme Lord
The cans of Leinenkugel's had masking tape on them with JOHN'S printed in ink. Amy looked around me and said, "John is protective about his beer, isn't he?"
"I put that label on there. When company comes I want them to know the Leinie's is his, not mine."
- David Wong

On Tap:
Anna Livia Irish Stout
Gondor IPA
Melancholy Bill's Infinitely Sad Pumpkin Ale
Lucian's Landing Ginger Metheglin

Old 09-08-2011, 07:08 PM   #9
dolphy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnbou View Post
What's the ambient temperature of the room you'll be storing it in?
Well fall's upon us soon so it should be in the 70s in my closet. I'll probably get a carboy as a secondary and throw it in there.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:32 PM   #10
dolphy
Recipes 

So the Golden Strong Ale has been in the primary for 15 days. OG was 1.072 and today it measured 1.006. I let it rise from 65 to 75 degrees by increasing the temperature 1 degree a day. Tastes great, a hint of alcohol bite but not bad and not sweet at all. The dude at the LHBS said once it's done fermenting to cold crash it at about 35 degrees. I'm going to measure again tomorrow to see where it's at.

Does this sound like a good idea? If so, how long should it cold crash for? Also, if I do cold crash it, should I then let it warm up to room temperature when I bottle?

Thanks

Quick Reply