*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Going to take a final gravity reading-how to sterilize?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 11:48 PM   #1
Pelican521
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Default Going to take a final gravity reading-how to sterilize?

Hi all, my first brew ever has been in the primary for 7 days now (haven't even taken a peek yet!)

I can't take it any longer, I need to open it up and see what's been going on in there!

While I'm at it I thought it would be a good time to take a hydrometer reading. I want to just take the reading from the primary bucket (since I don't have a theif or a sample tube, etc), what's the best way to sterilize the hydrometer? My choices are C-Brite or boiling it?

Not sure if boiling is even an option or it'll screw up the hydrometer...

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 11:52 PM   #2
twalte
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Do you have one of those cylinders for floating the hydrometer?? I normally sanitize that with Star San.

I use a wine thief (a VERY useful tool), but you could probably use a turkey baster to withdraw samples as long as you sanitize it well and fill the hydrometer tube. (And don't return the sample to the fermenter...just use it as a sample to taste it)

Sorry...I am not familiar with C Brite, so I don't know if it is a good sanitizer.

"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

Old 01-20-2013, 11:54 PM   #3
Rainman667
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I tried to read the hydrometer in the primary for the og and struggled. It was then suggest to me to use the tube the hydrometer cane in as the sample tube. I did not return it but drank it to see how things were moving along.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:56 PM   #4
Rainman667
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twalte View Post
Do you have one of those cylinders for floating the hydrometer?? I normally sanitize that with Star San.

I use a wine thief (a VERY useful tool), but you could probably use a turkey baster to withdraw samples as long as you sanitize it well and fill the hydrometer tube. (And don't return the sample to the fermenter...just use it as a sample to taste it)

Sorry...I am not familiar with C Brite, so I don't know if it is a good sanitizer.
Beat me to it, but see, I can learn.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:59 PM   #5
darth5aint
Recipes 

I had a hard time using the container the hydrometer came in not enough room to sink if it was around 1.014 where mine was suppose to be. Honestly i say wait till u get a thief, id go with a plastic one there wide enough to fit a hydrometer. Best 8 bucks i spent since i started brewing

Old 01-21-2013, 12:04 AM   #6
twalte
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 38

My first starter kit came with something like this. I know kits vary...did you get one of these??

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/hydro...2-plastic.html

Otherwise, I have seen people drop their hydrometers directly into the wine thief and use it for the reading.

"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

Old 01-21-2013, 01:22 AM   #7
Pelican521
Recipes 

Yeah, I guess I can wait till I pick up a thief tomorrow...oh well, I've waited this long.

Thx

Old 01-21-2013, 02:35 AM   #8
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Pick up some Star San too.

Your C Brite isn't a sanitizer. It's a cleaner.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 01-21-2013, 02:49 AM   #9
Pelican521
Recipes 

Hmmmm, fatcity, I wonder if you're thinking of B-brite, which is just a cleaner. C- brite is chlorine based and is a sanitizer.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:18 AM   #10
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Correct. I was thinking of B Brite.

However, I would suggest StarSan. It's a no rinse sanitizer. C brite is DEFINITELY not a no rinse. You must rinse it well, or let it dry, which just doesn't work to maintain a sanitized brewing process. It's much like using bleach. You will need to rinse, and of course, your water isn't promised to not leave anything on your equipment that could put a damper on your beer.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Quick Reply