Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Going from Primary to Secondary with 1 carboy?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
lorne17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Going from Primary to Secondary with 1 carboy?

hello there,

So I brewed my first batch this weekend and I have 1 glass carboy and 1 6 gallon fermenting bucket.

I put my primary in the carboy and was planning on putting the wort in my bucket clean the carboy then put it back in carboy to get rid of sediment for secondary time.

Will this add too much oxygen to my batch? What steps do you recommend I take? Should I use the bucket for future primary times? I would have, but the bucket leaks and asked the seller for a new one, they didn't drill the spigot well and it leaks slowly, so I didn't want to use it.

Thanks,
Lorne

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1852 Times on 1633 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

If you tighten the spigot too much,it squeezes the seals out of place & it'll leak just like if it was a bit loose. You have to get used to how tight is just right with spigot seals.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 238 Posts

Preferably you would have an undrilled bucket for primary. Shouldn't be that big of a deal though.

If you take some care, you should be able to rack from your carboy to your bottling bucket (the drilled bucket) leaving most of the sediment behind. Bottle from there (ie, don't secondary).

If you are worried about excess sediment, you can rack to your bucket, clean your carboy, as rack back to the carboy. Just make sure you don't splash at all and it should be fine. Lay the hose from your racking cane so it is flat against the bottom of the bucket so you don't allow it to drop at all to minimize splashing.

Just make sure everything is nice and clean. I would be more worried about infection than oxidation.

And make sure it sits for a while after you return it to the carboy. If you don't let it settle for a while, you aren't gaining anything over option 1 I described above.

You could also cold crash or use gelatin to get it clearer after returning to the carboy.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Just forget about moving the beer to the second vessel. Just let it sit in primary until it's done and ready to be bottled. With every transfer you do, you open up the beer (it's beer once you pitch the yeast, NOT wort) to contamination, infection, oxidization and other bad things. IMO/IME, simply NOT worth doing. I'll transfer (with a CO2 push) when I'll be aging a batch for an extended period. Otherwise, it stays in primary until it goes to serving keg (or bottling bucket if you bottle).

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine
unionrdr Likes This 
Old 01-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

I totally agree,leave it be.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #6
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 238 Posts

Just reread my post and realized there was very little emphasis on my option 1 (careful racking to leave sediment behind). This would be my suggestion, same as the others have said.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
lorne17
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks for the feedback guys. Quick replies!

I've heard if you leave it be with the sediment on the bottle it will get a lot of added and unwanted flavors. Is this not accurate?

The extract recipe calls for it to sit for a couple weeks and bottle after 2 weeks with priming sugar.

I can leave it be, right now I had to use a blowoff tube cuz my fermenting bubbler was full of foam, hissing, and not working at all. when I took it off, there was a big splash and blowout from the carboy. So I am now using a blowoff tube (I sanitized it) in a bucket with sanitized water solution.

Thanks,
Lorne

Old 01-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

The sediment in the bottles won't cause off flavors if you pour the clear beer carefully off the compacted yeast trub in the bottom of the bottle.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #9
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorne17 View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. Quick replies!

I've heard if you leave it be with the sediment on the bottle it will get a lot of added and unwanted flavors. Is this not accurate?

The extract recipe calls for it to sit for a couple weeks and bottle after 2 weeks with priming sugar.

I can leave it be, right now I had to use a blowoff tube cuz my fermenting bubbler was full of foam, hissing, and not working at all. when I took it off, there was a big splash and blowout from the carboy. So I am now using a blowoff tube (I sanitized it) in a bucket with sanitized water solution.

Thanks,
Lorne
Kits are notorious for providing either outdated, or just plain wrong, information to new brewers.

Let it sit until it's ready to be bottled. After 2-3 weeks, pull a sample, test it with the hydrometer and then taste it (do NOT pour it back into the vessel). If you detect any off flavors, chances are those will go away with more time. There are only a couple of off flavors that cannot be fixed with more time (in primary especially).

For bottling, use a priming sugar calculator and then let it got at least 3 weeks at 70F. After that, chill it in the fridge for a week before you go to pour into a room temp glass.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #10
HopSong

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Another thought.. you didn't say what size your carboy is. You don't want to rack less than a full bottle of beer into a secondary unless it is really full.. you will have too much headspace. Headspace contains oxygen.. oxygen causes off flavors if not totally destroying the beer... IMO. If it's a 5g carboy, you are probably ok.. but it's something you should consider. If you have, say, 5.5 gallons of beer in the primary and rack off 5 g into the 5 g carboy.. you should be safe.

Else, consider what others have said and don't do a secondary. Of course, if you have a bottle of CO2 laying around, you can fill the headspace with that and you are golden

Quick Reply