Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Glass top stove and a 5 gallon brew pot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 02:49 AM   #11
Cyclman
I Sell Koalas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 451 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Propane burners are really cheap, and boil waaaaay faster. Look for one one sale homebrewfinds.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 05:18 AM   #12
lespaul23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I brew full boils on my glass cooktop. Takes over a half hr to get 6.5gal boiling, but once it starts im fine. It totally depends on your stoves output and how old and efficient it is. I did some trial boils on mine. I opted for a 8gal alum kettle.

Alum is cheaper then ss to buy but bc its thinner it will heat up and cool down faster. Try and borrow a big pot from a friend of family member and see how much you can boil and go from there.

Burners are fairly cheap but when you add the cost of everything together it gets up there. I brew inside right now bc I live in NE and im not brewing outside in blizzards and minus deg temps. Once the spring time comes ill be going outisde.

Consider all your options before you start spending all your money on something you will want to upgrade soon.

Too much to list going on.....

Kevin

Old 02-13-2013, 05:31 AM   #13
Evonnida
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 9

I tried my first brew in a 7.5 gallon stainless kettle on our glass top stove. Needless to say, I could barely get it to 155 to steep the grains. I ended up steeping the grains while I ran to the hardware store and grabbed a turkey fryer, which came with a nice burner and a 7.5 gallon aluminum pot for $55!!

Drinking: Schlafly Pale Ale
Primary: Nothing yet...
On Deck: Blonde Ale and Light Ale

Old 02-13-2013, 05:38 AM   #14
maf58d
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have brewed all my beer on a glasstop kenmore. 53 batches of extract, partial mashes and all grain. No trouble at all, though I do use two 4 gallon stainless pots on the two large burners, with the lids on or partially on to get it started quicker. ----Mark F.----

Old 02-13-2013, 06:37 AM   #15
Pickettj
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by salb29
I've been seeing post else where on line that a 5 gallon brew pot won't come to a boil on a glass top stove due to it not being powerful enough?? How true is this wanted to know before I did my first extract brew, also should I go for a stainless pot vs aluminum? Any advice is greatly appreciated thanks
I can tell you, for a fact, that it will not. You may get a good roll but you'll never reach a hot break. My last batch I hit 210-212 and peaked. It wouldn't go above that temperature no matter what I did. I have a video of my boil as high as it got here:

http://youtu.be/n5rMPnfwAzA
I went to Home Depot and got a turkey fryer with a 7 gallon aluminum pot for $58 including tax. It works great once you get it setup.

On deck: Naught

Fermenter 1: Empty

Fermenter 2: Empty

Secondary: Empty

In The Botlle:
Nutcase Brown Ale
You'll Be Boch
Cherry Wheat

In the keg:
Alpha King Clone
TBDIPA

Old 02-13-2013, 07:43 AM   #16
Houseoffubar
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Unless I am mistaken, you can't get over 212 degrees no matter what, without pressurizing water, or adding an antifreeze type coolant. 212 is boiling, and you just can't go any higher.

Here is where I get schooled, and learn wort boils at higher temps!

Old 02-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #17
Pickettj
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseoffubar
Unless I am mistaken, you can't get over 212 degrees no matter what, without pressurizing water, or adding an antifreeze type coolant. 212 is boiling, and you just can't go any higher.

Here is where I get schooled, and learn wort boils at higher temps!
Well, my turkey fryer boil hit 260 before I got it turned down. I can't dispute your claim but it doesn't seem correct.

On deck: Naught

Fermenter 1: Empty

Fermenter 2: Empty

Secondary: Empty

In The Botlle:
Nutcase Brown Ale
You'll Be Boch
Cherry Wheat

In the keg:
Alpha King Clone
TBDIPA

Old 02-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #18
SharonaZamboni
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1434 Times on 1312 Posts
Likes Given: 29

As mentioned before, the bottom of the pot needs to be completely flat. I use the largest burner on my glass top, and it took about 20-30 minutes to bring my four gallons to a boil. I don't think that straddling two burners will work well with the glass top, since they seem to need complete coverage or they cycle on and off too much.

Oh, so you're just gonna sit there drinkin beer from your keg, sh!ttin in the kitchen sink, and watching him work -Xaphoeous

I McDrunko and this beer is Amazing!- McBrewskie

Old 02-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #19
RuffRider
Master Chief's Brewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickettj View Post
Well, my turkey fryer boil hit 260 before I got it turned down. I can't dispute your claim but it doesn't seem correct.
His claim is absolutely correct. Unless you raise the pressure of water (such as in a pressure cooker) and thus raise the temperature the water will boil at, you cannot raise the temperature past the boiling point.

Once you reach approximately 212 degree's at atmospheric pressure, latent heat of vaporization is added to the water causing it to flash to steam. This is why the volume of wort goes down during the boil. If the liquid in your turkey fryer was at 260 degrees, it would immediatly flash to steam...in it's entirety...gone. No more wort.

On Tap: PTE Clone
Kegged: None
Primary: House Pale Ale

Old 02-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #20
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 16

My glasstop range has a quick boil burner. I can easily boil 4 gallon when I brew via stovetop. I recently built a E-keggle which makes my wife very happy that I can move my brewing outside in the garage lol.

Quick Reply