Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Glass or plastic for primary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2008, 04:59 PM   #11
BrewBrain
Aleforger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Plastic for me all the way.

Easier to carry with the handle I can actually use.
Don't have to watch fermentation - YUCKO!
Can haul in and out of fermentation freezer easily.
Dry hopping is very easy with the wide bucket opening.
Retired buckets always have a good use.
Don't have to watch fermentation - YUCKO!!

I have three glass carboys taking up space. I suppose when I brew a really big beer that needs a good long secondary and I plan to bottle, I'll use them then.

You only get so many calories in life. Enjoy every single one.

QUICKSILVER HOME BREWERY

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2008, 05:43 AM   #12
Rad-Rabbit
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have two plastic primary fermenters a 6.5 gal & 7.9 gal. The 7.9 Gal I use for beers that have Lots of krausen. Plastic seems to be going good for me so far. I clean after use with "Clorox Free & clear Soap" & a clean soft sponge. I also use "One Step" On brew and bottling day, so far no problems with taste or scratching.
I DO use glass 5 Gal secondarys though.
So I guess use whatever you feel comfortable with. I can tell you that the Glass is more difficult to maneuver and store.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:10 AM   #13
Scooterkdavis
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

The search is a wonderful thing on this topic, yet more interesting is people who reply to topics telling people that any new discussion on any topic is a waste of time and once something is talked about once, people who have already talked about it think people who have not discussed it are retarted and should not be aloud to talk because it has been talked about.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:25 AM   #14
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

glass for me, but they are gonna be harder to get(if you dont' got them already), and more expensive i think then the plastic bottles/pails.

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:35 PM   #15
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2105 Times on 1510 Posts
Likes Given: 1149

You know, I used to brew in a glass carboy, but that was before I found out about 'primaries' and 'secondaries'. Then I got a brewing bucket and used that as a primary. Works great. Now I doubt I'd ever use the glass carboy again, unless it was for wine or mead or something VERY heavy.

The plastic bucket works great, and is much easier to deal with when transferring. Plus, I dont' worry about scratches, because it's so easy to get your arm in there and wash with a sponge.

Buckets FTW!

Quick Reply