Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Glass Carboys vs Better Bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2007, 06:44 PM   #1
RadicalEd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Glass Carboys vs Better Bottles?

I'm pretty new here, but I've been lurking for a while, and this question has been bugging me. I'm looking at buying some equipment in the near future, and so I'll need to get an answer on this soon. And yes, I did try the search function , but it actually didn't return anything for "better bottle" in quotes, and when searched without the quotes it didn't leave me much, either.

So, considering that Better Bottles are more durable than glass, and I will be needing to move them around, I've been leaning in that direction. But I didn't want to go ahead and invest cash into them without knowing if they had the community's Seal of Approval. I figure that when I start, I want to start right, and invest in equipment that I'll be able to use for years to come.

Also, will those Carboy Caps fit onto them? I've got a grudge against stoppers from a chemistry class oh-so-many years ago...

Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2007, 06:58 PM   #2
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Better Bottles are generally considered to be fine. Nobody has any real serious complaints against them. Glass bottles are fine too, nobody has any real serious complaints about them either.

Now, with that said, any intelligent brewer will tell you that one of those choices is clearly superior to the other. The problem is that if you get 2 intelligent brewers together, they won't agree on which one that is. So search the forum for the full debate if you want to know it...

Old 06-30-2007, 07:03 PM   #3
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The wiki has an article for this exact subject. It is a pros/cons list compiled from the various threads with this question. I think it can safely be considered the combined wisdom of the forum on this topic. It will give you all info you need to decide for yourself.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 06-30-2007, 07:18 PM   #4
RadicalEd
Recipes 

Lol, thanks a bunch. I didn't think to check the wiki (it knows all!); I'll keep that in mind. Well, it seems to me that Better Bottles may be better suited to me, as I will need to move them around in a few months, and I do not relish the idea of trucking around large glass containers. Also, as long as you take decent care not to nick up the Better Bottles, they should be fine to brew beers for a reasonably long period of time; the article said "ultra-long" concerns there, and I don't plan to start any Hobgoblin for a while!

Old 06-30-2007, 07:22 PM   #5
jelsas
Recipes 

the wiki page is good & pretty much sums up the pros & cons. check it out.

For my needs, the Better Bottle is far superior. I move full carboys from the kitchen (brewing) to basement (fermenting) and the added few pounds of glass is a pain. The airlock will suck-back when moving a better bottle, so I just cap it when I move, then put an air lock in after moving.

The real advantage of better bottles IMO is cleaning. A glass bottle that size is a real pain, but the BB is so easy. Also, take into account that if you have exclusively better bottles, you won't need a carboy brush or a carboy drainer. Cleaning is easy w/ a damp rag and draining can be done w/ just a cup.

Old 06-30-2007, 07:23 PM   #6
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just remember not to use a carboy brush on a better bottle and you shouldn't have any problems with scratching on the inside.

Edit: jelsas beat me to it

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 06-30-2007, 07:31 PM   #7
RadicalEd
Recipes 

Oh, I read that article!

Question: how do you get any built-up gunk on the inside of the BB without a brush? Water jet, or maybe the Oxy-clean I've heard about?

Old 06-30-2007, 07:32 PM   #8
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

stick a wet rag down into the bottle with a couple cups of water and shake it around...

Old 06-30-2007, 07:34 PM   #9
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalEd
Oh, I read that article!

Question: how do you get any built-up gunk on the inside of the BB without a brush? Water jet, or maybe the Oxy-clean I've heard about?
I just stuff a rag inside mine and with swriling it around it cleans up pretty easy.

Gary

Old 06-30-2007, 08:07 PM   #10
RadicalEd
Recipes 

Wow, I didn't think that that would clean everything up. I stand corrected! If that's all it's gonna take to clean up, I'm pretty much sold.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply