Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Glass Carboy vs Plastic carboy vs Plastic Bucket

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2008, 07:28 PM   #1
jackwhite75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Glass Carboy vs Plastic carboy vs Plastic Bucket

Ive noticed that alot of people here use glass and plastic carboys for primary or secondary and in some cases both primary and secondary. Is their an advantage to using a plastic or glass carboy over a plastic bucket? Does the beer taste better or is it a matter of preference?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2008, 07:33 PM   #2
Penguin
Recipes 

debated many times. i have read that glass is better for long fermentations times due to its ability to block oxygen from getting at your beer but ive used the classic ale pales for every batch ive ever done and they work fine for me.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:49 PM   #3
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Comes down to personal preference. I agree about the long term aging in glass, but I think in this case, it is to each his own. There are safety concerns with glass and cleaning concerns with plastic. You just have to be careful in each situation and go with what you prefer.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:53 PM   #4
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

really haven't noticed a difference if I use the glass carboy, plastic better bottle ,bucket or the SS conical. I just like to watch the beer swirl around the BB or the carboy... I'm weird that way but then again I like to watch the airlock/blowoff bubble away on the conical.

But really unless its going to be the plastic for months I don't think 02 would be a problem

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 10-01-2008, 08:05 PM   #5
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
...But really unless its going to be the plastic for months I don't think 02 would be a problem
I've had wine and beer in better bottles for up to a year with no problems. I definitely wouldn't try that with a bucket though.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 10-01-2008, 08:29 PM   #6
bjones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I would have to say it is a matter of preference. When I started brewing, I used the plastic bucket. Then as I accumulated more carboys I switched over to using them for Primary. Mainly because I had heard, once you scratch the plastic it is more difficult to make sure the bucket is sanitized.

I too enjoy watching the fermentation process through the clear carboys!

Good Luck,

Brent

Old 10-02-2008, 11:39 AM   #7
MgMt_Home_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Do a search... it's an endless debate

Old 10-02-2008, 02:13 PM   #8
TeleTwanger
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

glass all the way.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:14 AM   #9
rengelma
Recipes 

has anybody ever had UV damage in a carboy? I'm just thinking that all the carboys are clear but yet I bottle everything in brown bottles. I'm new to brewing and have brewed a Dunkelweizen and a hard cider using friends equipment, but I figure that I need to get my own stuff at some point soon.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:26 AM   #10
ZooKeeper
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rengelma View Post
has anybody ever had UV damage in a carboy? I'm just thinking that all the carboys are clear but yet I bottle everything in brown bottles. I'm new to brewing and have brewed a Dunkelweizen and a hard cider using friends equipment, but I figure that I need to get my own stuff at some point soon.
I keep mine in a interior bathroom bathtub in the basement. My wife also made a black carboy cover to keep the light out as well.

Overkill? Probably...but I wanted her to feel like she was a part of the process...makes her somewhat accountable for my hobby.

Quick Reply