Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Glass carboy vs. plastic bucket

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2013, 10:33 PM   #1
hoopdogg315
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Glass carboy vs. plastic bucket

I have both that were in the starter kit that I bought. Which do you guys prefer as your primary? Currently I'm using the carboy for my primary and in 3 weeks ill bottle.

What are yalls guys thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
DSorenson
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 521

Well in kits like that they give you the bucket for primary and carboy for a secondary. Either use the bucket first and transfer, or leave it alone for the full time, or just use the carboy. I only use carboys personally. Seems more securely sealed to me.

So my friend comes home from living in Japan for 5 years. In an excited discussion about my new hobby I ended up reciting my bottle inventory by style. He says "You have got to be kidding me... You actually have 99 bottles of beer in your house".
Hoptimistic Likes This 
Old 04-10-2013, 10:42 PM   #3
GASoline71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Depnds on the size. If you're doing a 5 gallon batch... you need to use whichever is larger of the 2. Normally you get a 6 or 6.5 gallon primary, and a 5 gallon secondary.

Gary

"Brewed Fresh from the North End of Puget Sound"
People Like This 
Old 04-10-2013, 10:45 PM   #4
Jackhole
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The bucket's probably for bottling. I personally prefer plastic buckets for primaries.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:49 PM   #5
TaxGuy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I prefer plastic buckets, too. They are much easier to move around if needed. A 6.5 gallon carboy full of liquid is pretty heavy.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:57 PM   #6
norsk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Buckets for sure... that and a conical fermenter. Having several buckets each of 5, 6.5, and 7.5 gal with spigots and dip tubes makes for some easy fermenting, sampling, and transferring. Think I siphoned one batch several years ago from a carboy, that was enough for me. Cool though for those who like using them....

veteransforpeace.org

VALHALLA BREWERY

Old 04-10-2013, 11:03 PM   #7
MisterClean
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I bought my starter kit from Austin homebrew with a 6.5 gallon glass carboy. After a few brewdays, and reading a few threads I decided to give Better bottles a try. I got the better bottles in a few days ago, but I've already decided to "retire" the glass carboy. I also plan on picking up a few Spiedel fermenters, after seeing all of the good reviews they've garnished.

The glass cleans very easily (not sure how easy the BB clean up). But for that trade-off, there are several aspects I don't like. For one, it weighs a crap ton (technical measurement), and it's much more fragile. they are also more expensive than the BB.

I know there are a ton of threads already on the BB vs carboy vs bucket debate. I would say go with what saves you the most trouble, and what you're most comfortable with. I spent some time going through carboy accident threads, and know I'm not comfortable with the possibility of it breaking and causing me to get stitches. It may be only a slight chance, but it's not a risk that's worth it to me.

I'm retiring the glass beast to the bedroom closet where it will be on apfelwein duty permanently.

the best thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

People Like This 
Old 04-10-2013, 11:32 PM   #8
stvo
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterClean
I know there are a ton of threads already on the BB vs carboy vs bucket debate. I would say go with what saves you the most trouble, and what you're most comfortable with.
^^^^ this
I've got all 3.... and others, Buckets I use for beers I dry hop and additions, glass carboys for primary's longer than 2 months and better bottles for everything else I recently purchased an 8 gal food grade container that I primary 7 gal batches in and I'm picking up a 13 gal one, going to do a 11.5 gal batch in that. Get yourself a bottling bucket and use the other 2 for primary's so you can have 2 batches going at once!!
Old 04-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #9
gwapogorilla
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I'm a nube too, brewing my 4th batch this weekend. My first batch was with a bucket for my primary. Due to the inability to see the fermentation, I bought a 6.5 gallon glass carboy to replace it. I also transfer to a 5 gallon glass carboy for my secondary.

You said that your using your 5 gallon as a primary? While it's okay to do this, your yield will be low. You have the trub on the bottom which is waste...so you'll be bottling closer to 4 gallons.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #10
stvo
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwapogorilla View Post
I'm a nube too, brewing my 4th batch this weekend. My first batch was with a bucket for my primary. Due to the inability to see the fermentation, I bought a 6.5 gallon glass carboy to replace it. I also transfer to a 5 gallon glass carboy for my secondary.

You said that your using your 5 gallon as a primary? While it's okay to do this, your yield will be low. You have the trub on the bottom which is waste...so you'll be bottling closer to 4 gallons.
Most people don't bother with secondary there is like a gazillion posts on that.... just primary 3-4 weeks and your golden.. use that 5 gal carboy for some of Ed Wort's Apfelwein super easy to make... 5 gal's of apple juice and 2 lbs of corn sugar and a dry pack of Montrachet wine yeast... takes all of 15 minutes to make

Quick Reply