The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ginger Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
Brindles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Ginger Beer

I'm about to start the process of developing a traditional homebrewed Ginger Beer. With big breweries getting on the band waggon and wowing new beer drinkers with light American beers with a twist of lime or a white beer and orange draped over the glass. I am convinced ginger beer and real wheat beers fermented on real fruit is what I want to enjoy on a hot summer afternoon after mowing the lawn. For example over the years I have been refining a Sour Cherry Wheat beer using the Evan cherries that grow in Edmonton that I am rather fond of.

Crabbies is a commercial example for Ginger beer that is nice but I find it too sweat for my pallet. Alley Kat In Edmonton Alberta Canada made an amazing light dry refreshing example a couple of years ago which is more of the style I want to create. In fact the owner Neil gave me some pointers which I plan to execute this weekend

The first plan is to start with a Frech Saison recipe (i just happen to have a smack pack of Wyeast that i want to use up) and then post condition with juiced ginger. Recipe will follow once perfected

Anybody else out there that wants to add input, experience or just wants to be part of the move towards more "Real Ginger Ale" in the world, please participate in this thread

Guy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 02:49 AM   #2
Wreck99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Earlier this year I made a Ginger Wheat beer that everyone loved. Subscribed, keep the updates coming!

Primary: None
Secondary: Rasputin's Beard, KBBA Clone
Kegged: Sam Adams Scotch Ale Clone, Irish Car Bomb Stout, Cream Ale
Bottled: None

"Beer, it's the best damn drink in the world." -Jack Nicholson

Old 01-24-2013, 02:32 AM   #3
xeoxe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm very interested as well...LOVE ginger. And my 2 cents Thick skin ginger is spicier and a little bit of hot pepper (maybe in the mash/boil) would help bring out some ginger zing.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:08 AM   #4
timduncan200021
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

I to love people of red headed descent and I love beer. Count me in for the beer and ginger movement!!

Old 01-24-2013, 07:51 AM   #5
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I just kicked a keg of this

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/ging...p-comp-141080/

Its amazing, its basically a lightly hopped Pale lawnmower beer...with just over 10oz of Ginger it definitely has a VERY pronounced ginger taste...if you like Ginger you will like it.

Its very refreshing.

Also i will save you the time, make sure you bag all the ginger you add to your secondary.
I didnt have a bag handy and just tossed it in, horrible idea. I lost probably half a gallon because my siphon kept getting clogged and it kept sucking air so i stopped.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
Brindles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I love to hear the words LawnMower Beer. If it is the one I know so well it would be the Wheatbeer recipe from 7 Barrels. A yearly delight that never goes wrong. In addition to the Ginger movement as mentioned above the sour cherry beer that comprises of one Lawnmower brew fermented after cool down on 2 Kg's of sour cherries (Evan Cherries to be exact).

I digress

The outcome of my first attempt was good but can always be better. I plan to repeat but try some kind of golden lager and possibly a lawnboy wheat Ale time permitting. I felt I needed a wee bit more malt profile to offset the sharpness of the ginger.

In regards to ginger additions I must share my experience based on advice from the Owner of AlleyKat Brewery in Edmonton.

Instead adding grated or chopped up ginger which sounds a bit messy as mentioned above, I went the route of juiced ginger. Ginger is not the easiest to juice up and has the potential of taking a cheap domestic juicer to the point of meltdown however it makes a whole lot of sense.

My story is I went to my local vegetarian east Indian dosa restaurant that has a giant juicer in the back. I arrived with approx. 1.5 kg’s of ginger root from the local supermarket, sat down, eat my dosa and lentil soup and left with approx. 200 to 300 mils of yellow ginger liquid in a close sterilized pop bottle.

After boil and cool down, I added 75 ml of ginger liquid with the yeast addition. After a week or so of fermenting in a carboy, I added a second 75 ml of ginger. I still had some ginger left and was tempted to just see what pure ginger juice tastes like but thought better of it and threw it away.

After one more week, I kegged the beer and consumed via tap and also I counter pressure bottled a few bottles to pay off my East Indian restaurant owner for future juicing favors.

Glad to hear there are more out there that love real ginger beer.

GB

Old 01-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #7
el_horno
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Actually have a ginger beer at a local brewery the other day and it was quite tasty. I may try to replicate it this summer as well.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:36 AM   #8
Rambunctious
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Traditional ginger beer

I have made this several times by creating a starter as described on the following link.

http://mistyhorizon2003.hubpages.com...ger-Beer-Plant

I have simplified the starter by blending a 2oz piece of raw organic ginger with a cooled simple sugar of 4cups water and 4cups sugar. Do not scrub , boil or microwave the raw ginger it is your source of starter yeasts and bacteria.
Once thoroughly blended put under an air lock and aerate at least once daily for the first week it should come to life.

Follow the comments down on this blog my recipe is listed. I have increased the sugars by 1 cup of each table sugar and brown sugar. My last batch had a O.G. of 1.052 and fermented down to 1.020. I have added 2cups priming sugar to the 5 gal batch and bottle in recycled 16 oz plastic soda bottles. Keep in a warm spot for 4weeks and chill for consumption. So far have not had any bottle bombs and get about 4-5% A.B.V. when done.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #9
beersmith88
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
I have made this several times by creating a starter as described on the following link.

http://mistyhorizon2003.hubpages.com...ger-Beer-Plant

I have simplified the starter by blending a 2oz piece of raw organic ginger with a cooled simple sugar of 4cups water and 4cups sugar. Do not scrub , boil or microwave the raw ginger it is your source of starter yeasts and bacteria.
Once thoroughly blended put under an air lock and aerate at least once daily for the first week it should come to life.

Follow the comments down on this blog my recipe is listed. I have increased the sugars by 1 cup of each table sugar and brown sugar. My last batch had a O.G. of 1.052 and fermented down to 1.020. I have added 2cups priming sugar to the 5 gal batch and bottle in recycled 16 oz plastic soda bottles. Keep in a warm spot for 4weeks and chill for consumption. So far have not had any bottle bombs and get about 4-5% A.B.V. when done.
Sounds like an awesome recipe. Will have to try this sometime.

Currently I have a gallon batch of ginger beer fermenting. I just made a traditional ginger beer. I am on a major budget so I use the food processor on my ginger root and then steep it during the boil.

Recipe:
12" ginger root
1 lb candy sugar
distilled water
16 oz lemon juice

I boil the candy sugar then steep the processed ginger, and add the lemon last. I pitched champagne yeast to get a drier beer. I need to test it soon to see what the body is like before I add any maltodextrin.

As standard with my brews I will be adding dextrose to prime it and then bottle it.

Made this once before and it was super gingery, but extremely fresh and great for hot summer days. It also makes a great dark and stormy.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #10
Rambunctious
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just started new batch 8 lbs white granulated sugar, 2lbs dark brown sugar, 2 oranges, 2 lemons, 8 key limes, 16 whole cloves 8oz skinned chopped ginger root, 5.5gal batch total volume. O.G. 1.076 right at the 10% est A.B.V. Mark. Will try to rack off and bottle @ 1.025 and let it finish in the bottle. Using cleaned yeast culture from earlier batch of hard cider presently in bottles to carbonate. Racked them into bottles @ 1.20 started at 1.060

Quick Reply