Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ghetto hard apple cider. . .what to expect.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2012, 06:11 AM   #1
KPSquared
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Ghetto hard apple cider. . .what to expect.

So, I'm totally new to the brewing world. I've been curious for a long time and have recently been gathering supplies to make my first beer.

In my excitement and impatience, I decided to throw together a prison style hard cider just to see what would happen.

So, 1 gallon of pure apple juice, 500 grams of white table sugar, and 1 pack of standard bread yeast. Mixed it all up in the apple juice container, built a ghetto airlock from a piece of pvc tubing shoved through a hole in the lid and then into a glass of water.

This has been happily bubbling away for about 2 weeks now. How long should I let this go on for? Should I rack to a secondary? Will it get clearer and will it be drinkable?

I expect it will be super dry. Any rough guess of alcohol content?

I don't have high hopes but if it doesn't totally suck, I would bottle it up.

Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 06:55 AM   #2
Meatyboy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

When I was a um... younger man (read; underaged) I did something pretty close to that, except with OJ. All I can tell you is... I hope apple juice works better than the OJ did. After about a month of fermenting, it was pretty well done. It did the job it was supposed to, that is, got me blithering drunk. However, the taste alone was enough to keep me from drinking again for oh, 6 years or so.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:27 AM   #3
brewingmeister
Recipes 

Liked 159 Times on 117 Posts

Having no idea what a gram is I couldn't say if the amount of sugar you added will make it more of a hard cider or a wine. Either way I would wait until it has cleared to bottle.

Edit...Cannot condone the use of bread yeast for anything but pizza.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:41 AM   #4
Insomniac
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

500g is just over 1lb of sugar. The only issue you have from this being a perfectly good cider or wine is the bread yeast. I would just leave it to do its thing until it stops and make sure to let it clear fully and drop all the yeast before drinking or it may well just taste if yeast.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:54 AM   #5
Vernacular
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Two things you should look into on this forum. EdWorts Apfelwein and using gelatin to clear your "wine". I used bread yeast to make some mead and it tastes just fine.

Other than the above.... I bet that stuff is goingto be plenty capable of turning anyone into a blithering idiot if then over do it LOL.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:20 AM   #6
nealizm
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPSquared
So, I'm totally new to the brewing world. I've been curious for a long time and have recently been gathering supplies to make my first beer.

In my excitement and impatience, I decided to throw together a prison style hard cider just to see what would happen.

So, 1 gallon of pure apple juice, 500 grams of white table sugar, and 1 pack of standard bread yeast. Mixed it all up in the apple juice container, built a ghetto airlock from a piece of pvc tubing shoved through a hole in the lid and then into a glass of water.

This has been happily bubbling away for about 2 weeks now. How long should I let this go on for? Should I rack to a secondary? Will it get clearer and will it be drinkable?

I expect it will be super dry. Any rough guess of alcohol content?

I don't have high hopes but if it doesn't totally suck, I would bottle it up.

Thoughts?
I made something similar cheap Apple juice, honey ,bread yeast.mine came out TART!I'm going to age for a bit and dump in a pot ,heat it add sugar and holiday spices.Don't expect any thing but sub par brew.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #7
astronomical
Recipes 

Whats wrong with bread yeast? It ferments pretty clean if you keep it under 10%.. Doesnt lend much flavor... I'd never use it again though. I'd rather use the proper tool and get a better flavor.

Answer the question with facts or be on your way.. Nobody cares about your unfounded opinions.

I've done it, but, I used additonal nutrients and oxygen which probably helped a LOT to keep down ester production.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #8
Mikethepoolguy
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 15 Posts

The bread yeast is fine. The only problem with it is that it does not make a compact trub. The slightest disturbance will stir it up.

What are you in for?

Wahoo Hunter

Old 05-22-2012, 03:53 PM   #9
brewingmeister
Recipes 

Liked 159 Times on 117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronomical
Whats wrong with bread yeast? It ferments pretty clean if you keep it under 10%.. Doesnt lend much flavor... I'd never use it again though. I'd rather use the proper tool and get a better flavor.

Answer the question with facts or be on your way.. Nobody cares about your unfounded opinions.

I've done it, but, I used additonal nutrients and oxygen which probably helped a LOT to keep down ester production.
So you used it yet you wouldn't use it again because you wanted a proper tool and better flavor. Since bread yeast is made for bread there are better tools that will lead to better flavors when not making bread. There are many many available yeasts for wine or beer that would be better than using something from the GaP recipe book. Bread yeast works in a wide range of operating temps which makes them difficult to control and often take a long time to clear. There are people that use bread yeast everyday for cider, mead and whatever else. They must like it if they keep going back to it. I prefer to use it for pizza but that's opinion and I know how that's not wanted in an internet forum. Bread yeast makes some good beverages everyday but it probably makes an equal amount of crappy beverages everyday. Too much bread yeast hanging around next thing you notice is your money is missing and your daughter is knocked up, I've seen it a thousand times before.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #10
Mikethepoolguy
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 15 Posts

See if you can get a friend to smuggle in some montrachet up their...

Wahoo Hunter

Quick Reply