The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Getting Started - Skip extract and go straight to BIAB?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2013, 12:36 AM   #11
northcal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I think you should go to all grain right away. No need to mess around with with extracts you won't ever need to use again!

That's what I did and no regrets.

Good luck, and get a pot that you can do 10 gallon batches in. Converted Sanke kegs work great and are affordable.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2013, 12:49 AM   #12
Ridire
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 648 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 307

Honestly, the only thing that would have totally screwed me up doing AG-BIAB before extract is understanding what different mash temps do to conversion and how that impacts FG, and therefore the ABV and the sweetness v dryness of the finished beer. But if you do an AG following a recipe, and know that temps are important, that shouldn't be an issue, right?

Old 05-04-2013, 02:00 AM   #13
sikkingj

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/...-60/p4858.aspx).

-John

Old 05-04-2013, 02:11 AM   #14
mysteryshrimp
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Go for it. I went BIAB for my fourth brew, and I should have gone there sooner than that.

Primary: Too many sours to mention.
Aging: Mead, Flanders Red, Belgian Dark.
Serving: Too many to mention. Dry Cider, East Coast IPA and Old Ale are my current standards.
BJCP ID: F0785, Certified Judge

Old 05-04-2013, 02:16 AM   #15
MDBrew69
cd /pub; more beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I just started brewing at the beginning of the year and have done two extract beers that both turned out well. I'm about to do a partial mash wheat from Northern Brewer this weekend. In all honesty, I think it really depends on how comfortable you are with the whole process. I'm glad I did my first two as extracts, since I was able to work out some timing issues and get my system down, but that's just me.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:28 AM   #16
Ramarok
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I started brew back in February and started off with AG BIAB. I dont regret it one bit. Of the 2 batches I've done so far both have been excellent beers. I spent 4 months planning out what equipment to buy and watching video after video on Youtube on how to brew. I also bought How to Brew by John Palmer and read it through completely.

I would suggest if you want to go for it. Just make sure you get a big enough boil kettle, at least 10 gallon. I personally went with a sanke keg (15.5 gallon) converted over. Also get a good voile bag. There are several people on here that make and sell them.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:34 AM   #17
Ridire

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramarok
I started brew back in February and started off with AG BIAB. I dont regret it one bit. Of the 2 batches I've done so far both have been excellent beers. I spent 4 months planning out what equipment to buy and watching video after video on Youtube on how to brew. I also bought How to Brew by John Palmer and read it through completely.

I would suggest if you want to go for it. Just make sure you get a big enough boil kettle, at least 10 gallon. I personally went with a sanke keg (15.5 gallon) converted over. Also get a good voile bag. There are several people on here that make and sell them.
And, not to sound like broken record, understand why mash temperature matters. That is the one thing I didn't quite get until the LHBS guy explained it to me...and then I read as much as I could on the topic.

EDIT: I feel the need to throw in my normal caveat here. I'm no expert. I've been brewing for a few months and have 3 brews to my name (not counting the 2-3 abominations my buddies and I made in college).

Old 05-04-2013, 02:37 AM   #18
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 323 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Go ahead and try a BIAB 1st batch....OK roughly speaking, 7 gal strike water at 160 degrees, add 10 lbs of grain and wrap the kettle w/ a few blankets for 60 - 90 minutes, stir well twice and remove bag, boil with hops and cool.

How hard was that...we're not exactly splitting atoms here folks...

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 05-04-2013, 02:41 AM   #19
Ridire

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer
Go ahead and try a BIAB 1st batch....OK roughly speaking, 7 gal strike water at 160 degrees, add 10 lbs of grain and wrap the kettle w/ a few blankets for 60 - 90 minutes, stir well twice and remove bag, boil with hops and cool.

How hard was that...we're not exactly splitting atoms here folks...
That was my feeling after doing it. AG scared me until I looked into what's really involved. It's soaking grains and boiling water. 90% of it is the same whether you do AG or extract (ferm temps, yeast, sanitation, bottling...).

Old 05-04-2013, 04:10 AM   #20
uxo
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Just start doing 5 gallon all grain. I did 1 extract and then went all grain.

turkey fryer+mash tun = all grain

You don't need to spend a ton of money either.

Your turkey fryer will come with a 30ot brew pot. Just use your existing brew pot for heating sprage water.

Quick Reply