Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Getting started question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2009, 12:13 AM   #1
mroe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Getting started question

Tired of buying beer from the store. Have bought bottles, cans, kegs, etc. Now I'm interested in home brewing. But........... I'm the type of guy who likes "mild" beer. I don't like the bitter stuff that local micro-brewers make. I like mild plain beer like the "lite" beers you can buy in the stores. So...... My question is this. Am I wasting my time looking into home brewing since I am looking for the more lite type brews? If not, what and where can I find them. Found one site called "Mr. Beer" easy looking enough. Can someone direct me to a mild type starter kit? I want to see if this is going to be worth my wild so to speak. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2009, 12:17 AM   #2
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 113 Posts

Brew a light ale, such as a Kölsch or a Hefeweizen to start.

Cream Ales are also very light and tasty (similar to the lagers you are referring to) but they involve partial mashing.

Read howtobrew.com and check out the links in my sig for more information on general brewing techniques.

As for starter kits, i would go to morebeer.com, austinhomebrew.com or northernbrewer.com and look at their equipment starter kits. It'll be much better than starting with a mr. beer kit (although that has worked for many people.) Also check out their recipe kits.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 01-30-2009, 12:23 AM   #3
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

The Mr Beer kit is where many of us got started. The West Coast Pale Ale that comes with it has been often compared to the light-style beers the macrobreweries like BMC (Bud, Miller, Coors) produce. It's a cheap enough place to get started, and who knows? Maybe a year from now you'll be saying "What the hell was I thinking with that light beer stuff? This stout/porter/whatver is a thousand times better!"

Or maybe you'll like the experience of brewing your own, but still prefer a lighter flavor in your beer. You could end up with a dozen Mr Beers in your closet bubbling away with your West Coast or Cowboy Lager.

Or maybe you'll drop 30 bucks on it, decide it's not your thing, and move on. No matter what ends up happening, it's a good place to start. Oh, and if you want more than 2 gallons at a time, you might have a look at the Coopers kit Here which is a bit more expensive, but brews 5-6 gallons at a time. From what I've read, many people are more satisfied with the quality of beer from the Coopers kit than from Mr Beer. Personally, I'm at the stage where Mr Beer got me started, and it sparked my interest enough for me to drop a chunk of my tax return on a "real" kit.

Good luck, and may you brew the beer that you most enjoy. Prost!

Quick Reply