Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Getting Started

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
robschmit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Getting Started

Hello Everyone!

I am just getting started in brewing and would like to know if there are any recommendations (outside of this site) for noobs on how to brew, it could be a good book, dvd or website. I mean I've brewed 3 batches so far (with someone a lot more experienced than myself) but there is still a lot that I don't know whether it be certain terminology, difference between different types of brewing or just any info that you wished you knew when you got started! I thank you for any help or advice!

Cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
GrogNerd
bad beer makes puppies sad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 942 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Papazian, Palmer and/or Miller

Papazian and Miller links are to Amazon, Palmer has a book, but the link here is to online version

all are highly recommended

also: if you have a question, first place to start is with this forum, HBT. check the appropriate section, especially for STICKIES. if the answer is not there, this is a great group of people more than happy to help out us n00bs.

more: check your local area for brew clubs. if beer is a social lubricant, brewing it is INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH. I just started in 2 local clubs and even before I met anyone, I had offers from members to lend me equipment, if I needed it.

& welcome to the obsession

"Why must it always be pandemonium?" - George Mueller/Nelson Van Alden

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

Old 12-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
StoutMeister
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Welcome to the club!!
Ok books? all kinds i would recomend the complete joy of homebrewing
and the brewmasters bible, and brewing beer for dummies it is a great book full of good information that i own and still use

Just one more thing..........do you have any good beer here??... That Place Brewery

Primary #1 ESB AG
Primary #2 Empty
Primary #3 Empty
Secondary #1 Empty
Secondary #2 Empty
Secondary #3 Empty
Keg #1 Sky's Bier (rootbeer)
In Bottles : Need It Now Pale Ale, unnamed Russian Imperial stout, and Dragon Jewels black IPA

Old 12-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
UtahNate
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Welcome to the obsession!

As for books, I'd recommend checking out "How to Brew" by John Palmer or "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" by Charlie Papazian. The first edition of John Palmer's book is available for free on the interwebz, but you'd be better served by finding a hard copy of the most recent edition. At least with the web version you can "try before you buy" and see if it's something you'll at least enjoy reading.

Over at The Brewing Network you'll find plenty of podcasts. I found Jamil's earlier shows on classic styles particularly helpful especially when brewing a beer I've never had the pleasure of trying.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #5
robschmit
Recipes 

Thanks for the quick responses! I will check out each of these! I always find myself checking through this site for questions but haven't ever posting anything or asked any questions, I've just kind of creeped. But if I find myself needing anything answered I won't hesitate to ask! Thank you guys!

Quick Reply