The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Getting ready for my 1st batch tomorrow

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
chris19delta
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Getting ready for my 1st batch tomorrow

I'm getting ready to cook my 1st batch tomorrow, and want to make sure i haven't forgot any important prep steps. Anyone have a pre brew checklist?
Im gonna sanitize everything tomorrow morning and I've just finished boiling water in the new AL pot to build up an oxide layer. Slightly nervous lol

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2010, 09:16 PM   #2
schmagy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

No brew checklist, but a link to a brew timer that will make your day less stressful... Configure the timers how you want and concentrate on other tasks like watching the boil or sterilizing....

http://www.beerbelliesbrew.com/HowItBegan.html

Old 06-09-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Good luck and try not to worry. Focus on sanitation/temps and times during the boil. The 1st brew day is more about experience than anything else. You can read 10 books on how to fly an airplane but until you do it there really is no way to know what problems you will encounter.

I suggest having 1 gallon of spring water on hand in the fridge, it can help you cool the wort and it can save the day for under 1 dollar.

Remember this: People have been brewing beer for a LOOOONG time and it is pretty hard to screw it up.

Best of luck!

Old 06-09-2010, 09:52 PM   #4
joelmole
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I know this is very, very verbose, and it's tailored to the equipment that I have, my recipe, and the particular methods I chose to use, but this is the step by step checklist I made for my first brew day. I'll probably adapt it to be more generic for future brew days, so I can easily plug in other recipes. The fact that it was so verbose freed my mind so I didn't have to think of what step to do next, just had to follow the list.

The one thing to point out is that the section in there for hydrating the yeast is done in parallel to the brew. I prepped the boiled water for hydrating the yeast while the specialty grains were steeping, but it wasn't cooled to 95 degrees until close to the time I actually needed to pitch the yeast at the very end.

Link to Google Doc

Last edited by joelmole; 06-09-2010 at 10:09 PM.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:23 AM   #5
dracus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Here is a nice one and a decent site to boot.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/checklist-extract/

Obviously not for tomorrow download beersmith. It is the best $20 you can invest in your brewing addiction. You can try it for free and print out brewsheets.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:33 AM   #6
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 26 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 341 Posts
Likes Given: 3

brewing your first beer is like having sex for the first time. You've heard great things about it, you've read about it, maybe even watched some videos of other people doing it. You're really excited and can't wait to get started. But once you get started, it doesn't go as smoothly as you hoped it would. But once you do it a few times,you get better at it.

All the reading and videos and checklists are nice, but once you start, you have to have your process down. The only way to do that is to get a few batches under your belt. Learning on those first few batches is fun and you'll make beer, but you shouldn't expect everything to go totally as planned.

on the flip side, being married with two kids , brewing beer is like my sex life.....i do it alone.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #7
BeerJorge
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysab View Post
brewing your first beer is like having sex for the first time. You've heard great things about it, you've read about it, maybe even watched some videos of other people doing it. You're really excited and can't wait to get started. But once you get started, it doesn't go as smoothly as you hoped it would. But once you do it a few times,you get better at it.

All the reading and videos and checklists are nice, but once you start, you have to have your process down. The only way to do that is to get a few batches under your belt. Learning on those first few batches is fun and you'll make beer, but you shouldn't expect everything to go totally as planned.

on the flip side, being married with two kids , brewing beer is like my sex life.....i do it alone.
LOL... you are right, the first time you are focused on following instructions and not so much on actually brewing, but it's easy after that...

Anyways, here's another article that might help you: home brewing instructions

Old 06-10-2010, 02:41 PM   #8
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerJorge View Post
LOL... you are right, the first time you are focused on following instructions and not so much on actually brewing, but it's easy after that...

Anyways, here's another article that might help you: home brewing instructions
except you have to wait weeks for the pop the top "orgasm."

Old 06-10-2010, 02:52 PM   #9
chris19delta
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

preps taking abit longer today because i decided to mark the pot at the 2.5 and 5 gal lines, so i filled it to 3.5 hit the waterline with a punch to mark it then did the same at 5gl which should make it easier to get the batch back to 5 gal after the boil.

almost done sanitizing just gotta fill a spray bottle with some sanitizer for quick touch up on the tools before i use em.

Last edited by chris19delta; 06-10-2010 at 02:56 PM.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #10
BeerJorge
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceportBP View Post
except you have to wait weeks for the pop the top "orgasm."
Yeah right.... some will take months!! Good thing I'm not married...

Quick Reply