Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Getting pretty discouraged

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2009, 07:50 PM   #1
Tonypr24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Getting pretty discouraged

I am on my 4th beer and I am getting pretty discourage. I don’t know if this hobby is for me. I don’t know what I am doing wrong but so far every beer has pretty much smell the same (yeasty smell) my first beer was the best one so far is was a Coors light clone and it was ok but it smelled pretty yeasty. My second beer was Cream Ale and it tasted kind of watery and same smell…my third beer was a Bass ale clone and was the same smell….I am on my fourth beer Iris ale and I am hoping to get a better result if I don’t I am going to feel like this is not for me. I am going to try this one with a liquid yeast and don’t know if that will help but so far I have every beer on 7 days primary and 14 days secondary. What am I doing wrong or what should I be doing different?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2009, 07:54 PM   #2
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 509 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Firstly, your choices of beer are difficult for a first time brewer. They are very much on the light side, and any off flavours you get will be more noticeable. That is not to say you can't do them, just that you will be tasting all your first timer mistakes much more.

If your predominant problem is a yeasty taste, then I would look at how long you are leaving your beer in the fermenter and bottles. I suspect you might be rushing the process.

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Old 04-08-2009, 07:57 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Well, are you taking a hydrometer reading on the 7th day, or are you just racking it whether or not the beer is done fermenting or not?

Racking too soon could easily result in all those symptoms. Especially yeasty tastes...but also any off flavor.

Sometimes it takes 72 hours for fermentation to even start, so if you are racking on the 7th day, that means you are rushing the beer off all those productive yeasts before they have a chance to finish their job.

Many of us don't even secondary, we leave our beer in primary for 3-4 weeks (most of mine a month) this give the yeast plenty of time to do their jobs, then clean up the mess they make, and even eat some of the chemicals that cause off flavors.

How bout this...slow down..

Don't even do anything to your beer for 2 weeks, then take a hydrometer reading. If you are near your target final grav, then you can secondary, or do what a lot of us do, and walk away for two more weeks, then bottle..

Then don't touch your bottles for a minimum of 3 weeks (if you are storing them at 70 degrees) or a little longer. I bet you that you will find a vast improvement in your beers by doing those simple steps..

Allowing 8 weeks from grain to glass for a normal beer will result in a highly tasty beer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-08-2009, 08:00 PM   #4
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Gnome says it.

1. hard beers
2. how long are you aging? 2? 3 months? or a few weeks?
3. lighter brews REALLY need water chemistry work (5.2 buffer can be used)
4. how about fermentation temps closer to 64 or 70?
5. can you post your technique? maybe there is some simple thing you are missing or doing slightly crooked
6. again - ANYTHING a little cock-eyed in those brews will show up.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at 85 degrees as I type.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:01 PM   #5
Tonypr24
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you guys...I have been taking a reading on my 7th day and all of them have been done or close to it but you guys are right I am trying light beer and maybe not waiting it out. I am kegging so after the 1 week in primary and 2 weeks in secondary I have been kegging the beer and drinking it 2 days after that. I will take my time on this one...

Thanks guys

Old 04-08-2009, 08:01 PM   #6
HOOTER
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Give us a full rundown on your procedures. Granted, that will take a while, but if you want useful suggestions we need to see exactly what you are doing. That way we can point out flaws and pinpoint potential issues.

One thing I can suggest right away is to try a simple, dark ale like a stout with rehydrated dry yeast. Darker, more flavorful beers can be more forgiving and the robust flavors can help mask flaws, plus rehydrating dry yeast is much easier than making a yeast starter with liquid. This will help you practice and if you succeed at making a quality batch of beer you'll get your confidence back and drop the silly idea of quiting.

This is just a start, but more info will help in determining what you are doing right and wrong.

Edit: I really need to learn to type faster. Sorry for any redundancy.

On tap: Hefeweizen, Centennial Blonde
Up next: Quality Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Shorts Would Make Boners Obvious

Last edited by HOOTER; 04-08-2009 at 08:04 PM.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:33 PM   #7
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

yeah, full details on how you brew (extracts? PM? AG?) and all that jazz. 2 days in a keg isn't much aging time, and 1 week primary 2 weeks secondary is a fairly loose rule/guideline (helpful, but you'll learn over time when the right time is to move/keg/etc)

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 04-08-2009, 08:42 PM   #8
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonypr24 View Post
Thank you guys...I have been taking a reading on my 7th day and all of them have been done or close to it but you guys are right I am trying light beer and maybe not waiting it out. I am kegging so after the 1 week in primary and 2 weeks in secondary I have been kegging the beer and drinking it 2 days after that. I will take my time on this one...

Thanks guys
That's probably the issue. With unfiltered beer (which is almost all homebrew) you need to let it age, if you wait for it to bottle condition you've given it some time (usually not enough even then) but with kegging you still need to give it 3 weeks to a month in the keg for it to really start to be good.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 04-08-2009, 08:59 PM   #9
Tonypr24
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok for example my cream ale was an extrac receipe with a OG of 1.50 and a final 1.20. I had it in my primary for a week. i took the reading and I exacly 1.20. I did have a hard time keeping warm so I bought a heating belt and according to the term I had on the bottle it read 70 but not sure how accurate that was. I moved it to my secondary and left it for 2 weeks, then I kegged it. After 2 days of 30psi I poured my first beer...

I've follow the same process for my other beers...

Maybe I am not waiting long enough like you guys are saying, I will give my next one a couple of months...

Old 04-08-2009, 09:04 PM   #10
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 509 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonypr24 View Post
Ok for example my cream ale was an extrac receipe with a OG of 1.50 and a final 1.20. I had it in my primary for a week. i took the reading and I exacly 1.20. I did have a hard time keeping warm so I bought a heating belt and according to the term I had on the bottle it read 70 but not sure how accurate that was. I moved it to my secondary and left it for 2 weeks, then I kegged it. After 2 days of 30psi I poured my first beer...

I've follow the same process for my other beers...

Maybe I am not waiting long enough like you guys are saying, I will give my next one a couple of months...
It sounds like you are fine and paying due diligence.....Therm on the fermenter, heat belt.....Yeah, just give it more time for those lighter styles........In the mean time, maybe try some more forgiving styles as mentioned above. That will build your confidence, and you might enjoy them more than you suspect!

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Quick Reply