Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Getting into kegging-ideas?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
Pelican521
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Default Getting into kegging-ideas?

I've bottled 2 batches so far and in a few weeks I'll bottle my next brew that's fermenting. While I'll probably always bottle certain batches, I want to get a simple kegging system that can hold a 5 gal batch.

Where's the best (affordable) place to get one. My LBS is too pricey and I saw I simply setup at Midwest that seemed like a good deal but are ther any other options like amazon, etc?

Not sure what I need at this point but if there's an option that's modular that I can add kegs to over time, I would be interested to hear about it.

Thx

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 238 Posts

Search Craigslist for a keggerator. Add kegs as you can.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
Fordzilla
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I don't keg myself but I watch www.homebrewfinds.com and the Vendor Showcase section of this forum for deals. Deals on kegging equipment pop up periodically, though I don't pay a whole lot of attention to them personally.

Craigslist is also always a good option. It might be your best bet for the kegs so you don't get killed on shipping.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
AVLbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I actually just bought my first used keg kit yesterday. I ended up going with my LHBS because by the time I factored in shipping and filling the bottle CO2 it was around $20 cheaper than online. Just out of curiosity I assume you were taking that into consideration too?

If not from my shopping it seems like everywhere online was pretty similarly priced. The places I checked were:

http://www.kegcowboy.com/
http://www.northernbrewer.com/
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/
http://www.homebrewing.org/

If memeory serves correct I think adventures in homebrewing was the cheapest (http://www.homebrewing.org/).

Cheers!

EDIT: The other advantage of getting it local was I got to pick out the best looking keg.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
Yammel
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My LHBS wants $209 for used keg with new seals,new CO2 tank filled, New Lines and regulator. I think that is a bargain.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #6
irishbrewerdownunder
Recipes 

My LHBS wants AU$299 for 2 new 19L kegs regulator, tap and beer lines. With no gas tank. I really want to start kegging but a CO2 bottle is another 150 empty. I looked online and some items are cheaper if I ship them from the US to Australia. So crazy!!!
🍻

Old 03-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #7
irishbrewerdownunder
Recipes 

[QUOTE="irishbrewerdownunder"]My LHBS wants AU$299 for 2 new 19L kegs regulator, tap and beer lines. With no gas tank. I really want to start kegging but a CO2 bottle is another 150 empty. I looked online and some items are cheaper if I ship them from the US to Australia. So crazy!!!

Old 03-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #8
Ridire
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 662 Times on 445 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Stupid question to add to this. So, you can very quickly carb your beer in the keg but what about other aspects of bottle conditioning? Does getting the beer carbed fast also have the other benefits of bottle conditioning happen fast? Do you let the beer sit in the kegs for a significant amount of time or just go from primary to lips (with a few hours of carbonation)?

I'm very curious, as I am thinking of buying a few kegs but am learning that those who say "3-4 weeks in the bottles" are probably right. What's the rule when kegging?

Old 03-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #9
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 238 Posts

Not a bad question, but the answer is no. Whole carbonation happens very quickly, the rest of conditioning is no faster. It will taste green approximately as long as it would have in the bottles.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #10
Ridire
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 662 Times on 445 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by freisste View Post
Not a bad question, but the answer is no. Whole carbonation happens very quickly, the rest of conditioning is no faster. It will taste green approximately as long as it would have in the bottles.
Thanks. So, it's not a bad idea to carb the beer up and then let it stand at room temp in the keg for a few weeks?

Quick Reply