Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Getting discouraged

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 02:06 AM   #21
Hogarthe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts

getting the fermenting temps to the correct range will definitely improve your beer. over 70 and most ale yeasts can give you problems. but a lot of those problem flavors will mellow some if you leave the beer in the bottle to age for a few months. don't dump the batch before you give it a chance to mellow.

and not everyone brews great beer the first time. it took me probably 5 or 6 batches to get everything right and make a beer I thought was really good. if you stick with it and learn from each batch, every one of them should improve, until you are making beer that is as good as or better than anything in the store.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 03:44 AM   #22
Cicada
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How do yall get a temperature reading of the beer in the fermenter? In my first 2 brews, I got it cooled to the mid 70s and then pitched the yeast, sealed the bucket and set it in my basement with an ambient temp of like 73ish, which I have since realized probably means the beer was even warmer.

I'm trying to improve each batch, and have read many times that temp control is key. What's a cheap/easy to get a read on the beer in the fermenter?

Old 12-17-2012, 03:49 AM   #23
GeorgiaTiger
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Fermometer. Less than 3 bucks. Labs will have them.

Allen
"Im an airlock sniffer...I sniff airlocks"
Primary 1: Empty
Primary 2 (LBK): Empty
On Deck - IPA of some sort
Bottled - Irish Red Ale
Wicked Gnome HomeBrewing

Old 12-17-2012, 04:20 AM   #24
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscoeb View Post
Ok, fist, ... I atrributed that to the "extract twang". It disappeared over time. Turned into damn good brews, but I had already drank most of them! Let it age another month or so, it will be awesome, I swear.

+1 Extract has a twang.

If you drink a beer to early you will get what some of us call a green" taste too.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #25
moscoeb
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynachrome

+1 Extract has a twang.

If you drink a beer to early you will get what some of us call a green" taste too.
For that reason, I am now building my pipeline to allow me to age beers 2-3 months before drinking them, as opposed to 3-4 weeks. Allows the beer to age, get softer/more blended, lose any greenness, and any extract twang to go away.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #26
kf4ocj
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscoeb View Post
For that reason, I am now building my pipeline to allow me to age beers 2-3 months before drinking them, as opposed to 3-4 weeks. Allows the beer to age, get softer/more blended, lose any greenness, and any extract twang to go away.
That why I have started getting my kits 2 at a time.I checked my temps this morning and they have dropped to 68F,I realize this beer wont be great but it will be drinkable,I will brew my next batch either this upcoming weekend or the next and I can assure everyone that the temps will be in the correct range and it will be my best one yet.When I get to the point of ageing 2-3 months would it not be a good idea to rack to secondary?

Old 12-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #27
BrewChem
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 38 Posts

Getting my ferm temps under control with a swamp cooler made SUCH a difference in the quality of my brews..! You'll be amazed..!

Once fermentation is done and the yeast have had a chance to 'clean up' after themselves, go ahead and bottle and let it age in the bottles. That way you can pull a sample every few weeks and taste how things are progressing.

But, you are right that if you plan to 'bulk age' long term in a carboy, you don't want to leave the beer on the yeast for an overly extended period.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:43 PM   #28
kf4ocj
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ok,my friends thought I would do an update.Though its only been in primary for 40 hours,after seeing very aggresive activity after only 3 hours I decided to check the gravity this morning,the og was 1.047,this morning after 40 hrs the hydrometer shows 1.020,the fg is supposed to be 1.011.Now the waiting game.I did take a little taste and its really not that bad.The hop bite I had talked about earlier wasnt there,but I did something diffrent with the hops,instead of just throwing them in I put them in a grain bag by themselves,put them in and from time to time did a little tea bag dunk,that way when the boil time was up and I pulled the hop bag none of the residue from the hops was left in the brew.So even with the temp issues during ferment I think this is going to be my best brew ever.I cant imagine how good it will be when I get everything right

Old 12-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #29
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicada View Post
How do yall get a temperature reading of the beer in the fermenter? In my first 2 brews, I got it cooled to the mid 70s and then pitched the yeast, sealed the bucket and set it in my basement with an ambient temp of like 73ish, which I have since realized probably means the beer was even warmer.

I'm trying to improve each batch, and have read many times that temp control is key. What's a cheap/easy to get a read on the beer in the fermenter?
Hello, if you have your fermenter in a swamp cooler, I have found by checking both, that the temp on most brews will only be 2 to 4 deg warmer than the water temp in the swamp cooler, even at high fermentation, I know its not the best way to check, but it works great for me.

Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Bartender Ill have what the gentleman on the floor is drinking.

I have spent more $ on brewing equipment than my truck cost!

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar!

Things come and go. Good beer will live on for ever ! WileECoyote

Old 12-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #30
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 707 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 221

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4ocj View Post
Ok,my friends thought I would do an update.Though its only been in primary for 40 hours,after seeing very aggresive activity after only 3 hours I decided to check the gravity this morning,the og was 1.047,this morning after 40 hrs the hydrometer shows 1.020,the fg is supposed to be 1.011.Now the waiting game.I did take a little taste and its really not that bad.The hop bite I had talked about earlier wasnt there,but I did something diffrent with the hops,instead of just throwing them in I put them in a grain bag by themselves,put them in and from time to time did a little tea bag dunk,that way when the boil time was up and I pulled the hop bag none of the residue from the hops was left in the brew.So even with the temp issues during ferment I think this is going to be my best brew ever.I cant imagine how good it will be when I get everything right
By putting the hops in and removing them and then putting them back in you have achieved some control of the bitterness but you really don't know how much bitterness you will get with this method and it may vary by variety of hops too. It's better to control the quantity to get the bitterness as it is repeatable. When you dunk the bag of hops later in the boil you also get flavor from the hops. Depending on the hop flavor this may or may not be a good thing. It definitely will change the recipe.

You don't need to worry about the hop residue. If you put it in at the beginning of the boil all the bitterness will have been extracted by flame out.

Quick Reply