New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Getting discouraged

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 11:55 PM   #1
kf4ocj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Getting discouraged

I have 2 brews under my belt and to be honest neither one came out very good,both had a hoppy bite,the 2nd worse than the first,and both were extract brews.Well I made a move the other day and ordered 2 budget stout kits from ahs.They are mini mash kits,and I brewed one yesterday and everything went great.I got my mash temp to 155F and held it perfectly for and hour.The day before brew day I boiled 2 bottles of water and frozen them,put them after the boil and got the temp down to 75F in about 10 minutes and pitched the yeast.Had airlock activity in about 3 hours and had a lot of activity this morning but now its started to slow some.According to the sticky thermometer on the fermenter the temp has stayed between72-76 degrees F.The question is,Have I screwed the pooch on this brew with the temps.I envey people who have to use heaters to get thier temps up.I wish I had that problem

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 12:00 AM   #2
GeorgiaTiger
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 70

No, you havent screwed the pooch. You made beer. Will the yeast make an off flavor? Maybe, maybe not. Let it ride...enjoy the process and no matter what, you made beer. Im sure it will be at least drinkable if not good!

RDWHAHB!

Allen
"Im an airlock sniffer...I sniff airlocks"
Primary 1: Empty
Primary 2 (LBK): Empty
On Deck - IPA of some sort
Bottled - Irish Red Ale
Wicked Gnome HomeBrewing

Old 12-17-2012, 12:07 AM   #3
moscoeb
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 36 Posts

Ok, fist, are you sure the extract brew have a hop bite? My first few had a type of bitterness that was similar to hops, but not quite. More of an underlying sour/bite. I atrributed that to the "extract twang". It disappeared over time. Turned into damn good brews, but I had already drank most of them! Let it age another mont or so, it will be awesome, I swear.
Second, you should be fine with those temps for pitching yeast, but don't want those sustained temps for fermentation. Obviously a lower temp is better, but you didn't screw it up.
If your fermentation temps are that high, look up swamp cooler to control your temps

Old 12-17-2012, 12:08 AM   #4
Satisfaction
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 25 Posts

What yeast was used? Some are more tolerant than others to warmer temperatures.

Here is a nice chart to review for temps and general characteristics..

http://www.yeastcalc.com/guide%20to%20yeast.htm

Old 12-17-2012, 12:10 AM   #5
dadshomebrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Just relax.

First leave those first two beers in the bottle for another month. And taste them again. I bet you will be amazed by the difference.

Second, take good notes and learn from it.

Third, stay with simple recipes until you get comfortable and learn your technique

Fourth... Relax, don't worry, have a beer

'Tis himself

In the fermenters: nada

In the bottle: nada

In the fridge(and the glass): nada

On Deck: anything i can think of

Old 12-17-2012, 12:13 AM   #6
kf4ocj
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscoeb View Post
Ok, fist, are you sure the extract brew have a hop bite? My first few had a type of bitterness that was similar to hops, but not quite. More of an underlying sour/bite. I atrributed that to the "extract twang". It disappeared over time. Turned into damn good brews, but I had already drank most of them! Let it age another mont or so, it will be awesome, I swear.
Second, you should be fine with those temps for pitching yeast, but don't want those sustained temps for fermentation. Obviously a lower temp is better, but you didn't screw it up.
If your fermentation temps are that high, look up swamp cooler to control your temps
Thanks for replies,I guess its await and see thing.As for the hop bite I did what some people suggest and chewed on hop pellet to get an Idea of the flavor and that was it.I am looking for a small chest freezer to build a fermentation chamber from,but havent found one yet

Old 12-17-2012, 12:17 AM   #7
kf4ocj
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satisfaction View Post
What yeast was used? Some are more tolerant than others to warmer temperatures.

Here is a nice chart to review for temps and general characteristics..

http://www.yeastcalc.com/guide%20to%20yeast.htm
I used mutons ale yeast,I know,I know,I need to start useing better yeast.I did check one website and it claimed the it works well from 55-77F,seems like a pretty good temp spread to me

Old 12-17-2012, 12:19 AM   #8
brigbrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I just picked up a $5 water basin at Walmart and dropped some frozen bottles into it. Kept my cream ale at a happy 63 degrees and gave me my first clean profile beer with no esters.

Just cracked it earlier tonight and very excited about the results. The solutions for most brewing issues aren't expensive or complicated.

Bottled: Stratford Ale (English Bitter), FestivAle (Holiday Ale), Dunkelweisen, Katherina (Jalapeno) Cream Ale

Primary: Little Jack Red (Irish Red)
On Deck: Black IPA, 60 Schilling

Old 12-17-2012, 12:34 AM   #9
kf4ocj
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigbrew View Post
I just picked up a $5 water basin at Walmart and dropped some frozen bottles into it. Kept my cream ale at a happy 63 degrees and gave me my first clean profile beer with no esters.

Just cracked it earlier tonight and very excited about the results. The solutions for most brewing issues aren't expensive or complicated.
CONGRATS,thats what I am looking for.The first time you crack that brew and it taste great

Old 12-17-2012, 12:39 AM   #10
SwivelHips
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Better ingredients (especially yeast) and even simple temp control should improve your results. Even going to mini-mash from extract kits should be a step up.

Quick Reply