The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Getting 84% Apparent Attenuation with US-05? Why so high?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2012, 06:18 PM   #21
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 423 Times on 344 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Grain bill also plays a big part. If you have 30% crystal malts in your grain bill, you are not going to get much attenuation.

Assuming the same grain bill and healthy pitching rates, a higher mash temp will have the biggest impact on attenuation IMO.

Some higher-flocculating yeast strains (like S-04) don't attenuate as well normally because they drop out pretty quickly and form a tight clump on the bottom of the fermenter. If you manually agitate the yeast cake a bit, though, you can get somewhat higher attenuation out of them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2012, 06:29 PM   #22
Bithead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 76

After I switched to AG I was having a problem with too low FG. I started doing a mash out and have had no problem since. Seems like conversion was continuing while first and second runnings were sitting in the BK before actually starting boiling. I was also doing double batch sparge.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #23
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

I'm confused. I thought that a higher temp in the mash and sparge means more sugars from the grain. But this thread seems to indicate that the lower the temp, the more 'fermentable' sugar? What am I missing?

Old 05-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #24
atom
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambeer View Post
I'm confused. I thought that a higher temp in the mash and sparge means more sugars from the grain. But this thread seems to indicate that the lower the temp, the more 'fermentable' sugar? What am I missing?
you have it backwards... lower mash temp will produce more fermentable wort than a higher temp mash.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:55 PM   #25
iambeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom View Post
you have it backwards... lower mash temp will produce more fermentable wort than a higher temp mash.
Cool, thanks for the answer.. but why do I read that sparging with hotter water is to rinse sugars from the grain?

Old 05-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #26
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 254 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bithead View Post
After I switched to AG I was having a problem with too low FG. I started doing a mash out and have had no problem since. Seems like conversion was continuing while first and second runnings were sitting in the BK before actually starting boiling. I was also doing double batch sparge.
So what is the solution? Should I start my boil with the first runnings while I'm sparging into a second container and then add the second runnings to the brew kettle once I'm done sparging?

Next up: English Pale Ale (ESB)
Primary 1&2: White Zombie (Amarillo IPA)
Primary 3&4: Summer Kolsch
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Amber Rain (Dry Hopped Amber Ale), SM Belgian Golden Strong

Old 05-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #27
atom
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Cool, thanks for the answer.. but why do I read that sparging with hotter water is to rinse sugars from the grain?
typically during the sparge you are just "rinsing", the conversion is done during the mash (with lower temps).

Old 05-24-2012, 01:21 PM   #28
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
This is correct. Whether the water needs to be hot or not is debated. Probably the biggest advantage of a hot sparge is that hot liquids simply flow faster. The sugars are already dissolved so, as far as that aspect is concerned , tempeature make no difference. The sparge is simply moving the sugars away from the spent grain. Cold water will also "wash" the sugars off the spent grain.
Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 05-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #29
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhem View Post
So what is the solution? Should I start my boil with the first runnings while I'm sparging into a second container and then add the second runnings to the brew kettle once I'm done sparging?
I do a mash out first (I tend to fly sparge), and I do start the first runnings on the heat as the sparge finishes. This holds the fermentability profile of the wort, if that makes sense.

But you don't have to use a second container, unless you are gravity draining and the kettle is too high- you just drain your runnings into the brewpot.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #30
iambeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjj2ba View Post
This is correct. Whether the water needs to be hot or not is debated. Probably the biggest advantage of a hot sparge is that hot liquids simply flow faster. The sugars are already dissolved so, as far as that aspect is concerned , tempeature make no difference. The sparge is simply moving the sugars away from the spent grain. Cold water will also "wash" the sugars off the spent grain.
Thanks. This is starting to make a lot more sense now.

Quick Reply