Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Beginners Beer Brewing Forum (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/)
-   -   Gettig ill off homebrew (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/gettig-ill-off-homebrew-387807/)

adamdillabo 02-06-2013 06:20 PM

Gettig ill off homebrew
 
A friend came over this weekend and had a stout I made. Before finishing his stomach was upset. Spent some time on the can and threw up all Sunday. No one else has gotten sick. I'm drinking one now. Bottles were reused but washed after pouring and sanitized in a dish washer. Can something like that happen in 30 mins

adamdillabo 02-06-2013 06:23 PM

Girl friend had the same symptoms early last week. Now I have people accusing me of brewing bad beer.

GoCrew 02-06-2013 06:25 PM

Did he drink the yeast layer from the bottle conditioning process? Were you drinking straight from the bottle? Give us some more info.

TyTanium 02-06-2013 06:25 PM

It's not the homebrew. Sounds like this thing called the flu that's going around.

Yooper 02-06-2013 06:30 PM

It's possible to get an upset stomach from anything- if he's intolerant of certain foods, then it'd be possible. Like if I'm allergic to shellfish, I could get very sick and even die from eating even a small amount. Or if I'm lactose intolerant, ingesting lactose could give me an upset stomach.

But no, he didn't develop gastrointestinal illness from your homebrew. He had a bug of some kinds.

I've heard of a few people who drank really young sediment-filled beer (really yeasty) get diarrhea when they overdid it, though. But it was much later, like the next day, and not within minutes.

Even food poisoning (which is NOT what happened here, but as an example only!) takes about 24 hours to show symptoms. So whatever he had was in his system for a while, at least a day or so, unless he's allergic to beer.

masterfool101 02-06-2013 06:30 PM

I'm far from a medical expert . . .

I've never heard of something like this happening with homebrew . . . doesn't mean it can't happen. Usually, if a batch goes bad, it's the batch, and not just one or two bottles. If you drank the same beer, and others have had it without effect, then I don't know what to say.

It's also unlikely that any food poisoning occurs as fast as 30 minutes. . . but then, maybe it wasn't a common food bug.

It may have something to do with something else they ate. Could also be a flu bug or something similar.

Not saying it wasn't the beer . .. just that it doesn't seem like the likely culprit to me.

adamdillabo 02-06-2013 06:30 PM

We poured into glasses. He didn't follow my instructions and got my yeast then I did.

weirdboy 02-06-2013 06:31 PM

Yeah sounds like flu, or maybe he got food poisoning from something else. What did he eat? From what I understand food poisoning can show up relatively quickly (30 minutes). And anecdotally, I have gotten sick from food poisoning within 30 minutes or so before...I stopped eating at my college's food court after that incident, in fact.


It's possible there was something wrong with just that one bottle. e.g. maybe it had some cleanser/sanitizer still in there, which in sufficient quantities could give you some stomach troubles.

adamdillabo 02-06-2013 06:32 PM

My= more*

He's my best friend and it sucks knowing he won't trust my beer anymore

LLBeanJ 02-06-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TyTanium (Post 4872095)
It's not the homebrew. Sounds like this thing called the flu that's going around.

I agree. There's a lot of novovirus going around right now. I'd say it's most likely a coincidence that he became ill after drinking one of your brews.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:33 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.