The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Get Real, Cooper's Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
BuddyWeiser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Get Real, Cooper's Ale

I just started a new beer kit today. This is the first time I've ever experimented with hops! Here's my ingredient list...
1 can Cooper's OS Real Ale
2 lbs Bavarian Wheat Briess DME (65% wheat /35% barley)
300 g corn sugar
1 oz Amarillo Hop pellets, boiled in 2.75 liters of water for 30 min
1 Cooper's kit dry yeast pack + some yeast that i washed from my last batch
All combined = 24 liters with OG = 1042
I think it smells awesome and didn't taste bad for being unfermented! (when i took the OG reading) I was aiming for a fruity/floral hop flavor more than bittering or aroma.

Any thoughts? Or suggestions for next time?

RDWHAPBR

Last edited by BuddyWeiser; 02-20-2012 at 09:19 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Sounds good... maybe cut a gallon off and up the OG?

Old 02-20-2012, 08:45 PM   #3
BuddyWeiser
Recipes 

That's a good point. I just did an estimate and it looks like the abv will be < 4%

I think I might add some corn sugar...

RDWHAPBR

Last edited by BuddyWeiser; 02-20-2012 at 08:47 PM.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:51 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1293

20 minutes on the hops would've been good flavor-wise. 30 minutes,& you start gaining a lil bittering,& lose flavor. So I cut my flavor additions to 25 minutes or less from experience. The cooper's cans can make some fine ales with a good process. And said process has little to do with the cooper's instructions.
23L even would have given you a couple more gravity points. Plus,with the 2lbs of wheat DME,the gravity should've been more like 1.042. I wonder what the other yeast was?
I've got my 2nd batch of Sharie's Summer Shandy chilling in an ice bath now that uses the cooper's OS lager as a base. It uses 1 lb each of the plain reg DME,& 1 lb of plain Wheat DME (munton's). I get low to mid 1.04x's with them.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #5
BuddyWeiser
Recipes 

I just updated the first post to reflect the "last minute" change i just made. I added 300g corn sugar boiled/disolved in some water. the end result is now 24 liters and og is now 1042.

The other yeast was washed from cooper's stout that i just bottled yesterday. Thanks for the tip on the hops! I will try 20-25 min next time.

RDWHAPBR

Old 02-20-2012, 10:23 PM   #6
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Well,adding another gallon of water & the sugar will not only raise the alcohol,but dry the beer out a little. Thinner iow. But it'll still be beer.
I pulled a good one about 20 minutes ago. I got the 60F wort in the BB ale pale,poured through a fine mesh strainer to aerate it a little. Dito with top off water. Took a hydrometer sample. About 2" of foam,gotta wait a little. Then I snapped the lid down. Dang. Took some doin to get the lid back off so I could pour in the re-hydrated yeast. I figured I better add a blow off as well. Not gunna have another oopsie. So don't feel alone...you aren't.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #7
BuddyWeiser
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
So don't feel alone...you aren't.
Thanks! Also thanks for the heads up on the thin/dry beer issue too. I'll post back after I taste test at FG.

RDWHAPBR

Old 02-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Yeah man,post the results when it's ready. More info is always a good thing.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:30 PM   #9
BuddyWeiser
Recipes 

We hit final gravity today at 1003! The smell is great. The taste is good, but I'm afraid the vigorous fermentation (that raised the temp up to 75+) has caused a subtle banana flavor that lingers on, affecting the aftertaste. By vigorous, I mean the foam tower was huge and I could watch the brew churning and swirling as if there was a current flowing inside the fermenter.

Beside the temp/banana issue, the beer is also dark colored. Darker than even an amber beer. Is it possible my wheat DME caused this dark color? Or maybe that my Cooper's can was older? (it was not expired tho)

I read that the banana flavor could very well disappear or at least become less pronounced over time. Could time also make the color change/become lighter?

RDWHAPBR

Old 02-24-2012, 08:05 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyWeiser View Post
We hit final gravity today at 1003! The smell is great. The taste is good, but I'm afraid the vigorous fermentation (that raised the temp up to 75+) has caused a subtle banana flavor that lingers on, affecting the aftertaste. By vigorous, I mean the foam tower was huge and I could watch the brew churning and swirling as if there was a current flowing inside the fermenter.

Beside the temp/banana issue, the beer is also dark colored. Darker than even an amber beer. Is it possible my wheat DME caused this dark color? Or maybe that my Cooper's can was older? (it was not expired tho)

I read that the banana flavor could very well disappear or at least become less pronounced over time. Could time also make the color change/become lighter?
I messed up earlier,guess the fact that you added only 1 extra liter didn't register. Kept thinking gallon. Anyway,the sugar is what got it down that low. Normally 1,008-1.010 for an FG in this case. That banana flavor is rare with Cooper's ale yeast. I got it in one bottle of my Burton ale. Odd because my temps never got over 70F with that one. But it does fade a little bit,albeit slowly. The dark color is usually from LME in a long boil. I noticed DME doesn't darken as quickly,or as much. But I don't thinkit'd be the wheat DME. It's more process related,time being the first concern.
But an older can of LME will def be darker,even though it'll taste fine. Check out my "summer ale" in my gallery. Looks more like the Salvator doppel bock. Tasted close too,even though it was a lower ABV than the Paulaner classic.
Gary Martin at Home Brewer TV gave it 3 thumbs up in episode #38. See it in my gallery.

Quick Reply