Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > general guidelines for secondary, to skip or not to skip

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2011, 04:33 PM   #1
Thehopguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default general guidelines for secondary, to skip or not to skip

I know generally the idea around here is to skip secondary and ride it out in primary for 3 weeks. And after my first brew, after seeing the extra hassle and risk of contamination, im on board for the primary only.
But my question is when should you secondary. I've heard of dryhopping and adding fruit in secondary. But what about styles of beer? Which styles benefit or even need secondaries? Do you need to lager in a secondary? Also what is the rule of thumb for high gravity beers? Do you secondary and if so, how long?

On Deck: Double IPA, GTBT V3
Primary: GTBT APA
Bottled: GTBT V2, GTBT V1, Black IPA, Centennial IPA, Pumpkin Ale, Badboy IPA, Simarillo APA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1906 Times on 1678 Posts
Likes Given: 1410

Generally,you would secondary a high gravity beer to bulk age,as they can take a few months. Or light to medium gravity ales when oak,fruit,etc is desired but off the yeast cake to keep it cleaner tasting,& slow down any additional fermentation. I,like many here,dry hop in primary after a stable FG is reached. That way,it's settled out more so the hop oils from dry hopping don't coat the settling yeast & get lost.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
imperialipa
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I almost always secondary for several reasons

1. I have a 6.5Gal anda 5 gal carboy. Secondary frees up the 6.5 to brew another batch. I brew every 2-3 weeks and leave my primary in there for 2-3 weeks.

2. I feel like it clears out the beer a bit more and makes it easier/cleaner to rack since there is less trub in the bottom

3. Dry Hopping, fruit, wood chips, cocoa nibs etc

4. I feel like its easier to harvest yeast from the secondary since alot of the hop trub gets left behind in primary when I rack to secondary

Old 08-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #4
BrewinJay
Recipes 

I always use a secondary, I have found that the beer comes out so much cleaner that way.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #5
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2017 Times on 1449 Posts
Likes Given: 1100

I would probably use one again if I added fruit, but that's not likely going to happen. Probably for a very strong beer. I used to use for dry hopping, but I tried it in the primary and it worked just as well.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:55 PM   #6
Skarekrough
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Secondary for aging or storage. Something like an Imperial Stout needs time to mellow out.

If it's something to be consumed when fresh then it goes right into a keg after the primary and shortly after into the keezer.

Bear Hill Brewery - Get Mauled!

Old 08-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #7
MetuchenBrewerNJ
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I also secondary. Ale or Lager, there will be trub, and if it's fully or almost fully fermented out, why have your beer sit on trub for no reason? Ales I generally secondary for shorter periods..get them off the trub and clear a little over a week or so, then I bottle. Lagers, though, obviously need to be lagered for a longer period of time - and I definitely don't want my beer sitting on trub for months.
There's more hassle and cleanup involved, but I think it makes for a cleaner beer with no trub off-taste, so I think it's worth it.

Primary 1 / Primary 2:
Secondary 1 / Secondary 2: Dogfish 90 Minute IPA
Conditioning:
Bottled: Bourbon Barrel Stout
Kegged: Hopback Amber

"He was a wise man who invented beer" ~Plato
Cheers, and thanks for all the help
- Chris

Old 08-10-2011, 06:16 PM   #8
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I've always secondary'ed. Why? Well, because I've always done it of course

I like the ability to have 2 chances to remove most of the yeast. 90% stays in the primary, the next 8-9% stay in the secondary, and 1-2% make it to the keg.

M_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:20 PM   #9
kapbrew13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr
Generally,you would secondary a high gravity beer to bulk age,as they can take a few months. Or light to medium gravity ales when oak,fruit,etc is desired but off the yeast cake to keep it cleaner tasting,& slow down any additional fermentation. I,like many here,dry hop in primary after a stable FG is reached. That way,it's settled out more so the hop oils from dry hopping don't coat the settling yeast & get lost.
+1
Instead of retyping.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:09 PM   #10
bechard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've brewed 5 batches now, and all made it to the secondary except for the last. This last beer was dry-hopped right in the primary after two weeks of fermentation. Gave it a week to dry-hop, transfered to my bottling bucket and bottled em up.

This last batch just finished, and was probably the best looking (lack of sediment) that i've done. This for me told me that 1) My misconception of secondary helping to clarify was, indeed a misconception. 2) If this batch turned out cleaner (no floaties, or visible yeast floating around) in only the primary, then I've definately improved my process.

Quick Reply