Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Gelatin and IPAs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #1
Ilan34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Gelatin and IPAs

Getting ready to bottle my very first original recipe next week, an IPA with lots of late and dry hopping. I'm considering using gelatin to help the beer clear up... I tend to have a lot of chill haze (besides the fact that I do BIAB). I already use Whirlfloc and I cold crash for three days before bottling, but I'm looking to step it up.

I'm worried that the gelatin might strip out the hop character. Is this a significant factor to consider?

Incidentally, I've only used gelatin once so far, but I won't see the results of that until mid November. I realized after the fact that although I heated the gelatin water to 155, I never pre boiled the water. It went into a 7.2% Christmas ale. Should I be worried about a possible infection?

Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2013, 03:35 PM   #2
billl
Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 234 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I wouldn't worry about 155. Lots of people add water straight from the tap for extract brews and have no issues.

I've used gelatin on an IPA and it worked just fine. Just don't throw in 5 packets or something.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
Ilan34
Recipes 

Thanks Bill. So, when you refer to extract brewers using tap water, you're talking about top off water? Is pre boiling water for gelatin not generally part of the process?

I don't have actual packets of gelatin, so I'm not sure how much is in one package. I have a small jar of it from LD Carlson. I believe I used 1/4 teaspoon in 1/3 cup of water for about 2.7 gallons of the Christmas ale.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
Captain Damage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Just FYI, you don't need to worry over the temperature of your water when using gelatin. Gelatin can be boiled without denaturing (that's how it's made).

Stop using so much caramel malt. Your beer will thank you.
(yes, Carapils is a caramel malt...so is Special B)

FERMENTING

BOTTLED
pujwI HIq Mild Ale
KPA Khitomer Pale Ale

Old 10-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #5
Moose1231
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilan34 View Post
Thanks Bill. So, when you refer to extract brewers using tap water, you're talking about top off water? Is pre boiling water for gelatin not generally part of the process?

I don't have actual packets of gelatin, so I'm not sure how much is in one package. I have a small jar of it from LD Carlson. I believe I used 1/4 teaspoon in 1/3 cup of water for about 2.7 gallons of the Christmas ale.
He is saying that when you do exract brewing, you add water directly from the tap and there is no major issus, hence, if you did the same for your gelatin, you shouldn't be worried about infection.

Boil the water first if you think about it and just throw a package in half a cup of water when it reach 155.

EDIT : OH, i just realized you don't have a pack. Maybe 1/2 TBSP in 1/2 cup of water

Old 10-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
Ilan34
Recipes 

Ok, so no worries about infection and it also shouldn't affect the hoppiness of the ipa.

Is 1/4 teaspoon too little for a 2.5 - 3 gallon batch?

Old 10-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
billl
Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 234 Posts
Likes Given: 7

1 packet is about 1 tablespoon, which works well for a 5 gallon batch. I'd use 1/2 tablespoon for yours.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #8
Ilan34
Recipes 

Crap, that's six times more than what I used on the Christmas ale. I'm at work so I don't have the bottle in front of me, obviously, but I *think * I used half the recommended amount of 1/2 teaspoon for a five gallon batch. Maybe the LD Carlson is a different concentration of gelatin than the packets?

Old 10-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #9
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 691 Times on 446 Posts
Likes Given: 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Damage View Post
Just FYI, you don't need to worry over the temperature of your water when using gelatin. Gelatin can be boiled without denaturing (that's how it's made).
Everything I've read about gelatin emphasizes that it's important that you NOT boil it. 170° F is usually given as the very upper temperature limit you should use while preparing gelatin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilan34
Is 1/4 teaspoon too little for a 2.5 - 3 gallon batch?
In my opinion, yes. I use a full tablespoon in 1 cup of water for a 5 gallon batch.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #10
m3n00b
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 70

My opinions from experience:

Do not put gelatin in aroma/dry hopped beer. It WILL strip aroma. How much depends on how much gelatin you use. I'd rather have a smelly cloudy IPA than an aromaless clear IPA. I've wasted a ton of steeped/dry hops on a couple IPAs that I crashed with gelatin.

If you do put gelatin in, top at 170F or you will have Jello beer. Also make sure you put the gelatin in when your beer is already at it's coldest and wait 1-2 days for it to clear.

Quick Reply