Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Geez. . .How many mistakes can one new guy make?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2010, 12:11 AM   #1
stdwdh16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Geez. . .How many mistakes can one new guy make?

Last night I was preparing to brew my second batch when SWMBO "convinced" me that I should go to the grocery store with her. I had all my gear together and had already made up some sanitizing solution and was sanitizing my tools. We got home and it was late, so I just ate and went to bed, forgetting all about my equipment sanitizing. Today I get home from work and decide to brew that batch, but low and behold the iodophor had stained my bucket, spoon, air lock, and my tubing on my auto siphon. Will these stains have any affect on the quality/taste of my beer? I am a little worried, but not overly so because the iodophor was at the recommended strength, my contact time was just a lot long. I am brewing a pale ale. FWIW I only have one primary fermenter, so I brewed away and went with it. I also completed a cider experiment for SWMBO because she doesn't drink beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2010, 12:34 AM   #2
JOHN51277

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts

Its all ok, Just make time next time......Beer is not a matter of life, or death......It is waaay more important than that!!!!

You will be ok with what you did. Life gets in the way sometimes and then you brew a beer, get it carbed, and drink a tall cold pint of homebrew, and then realize what life is all about!!!

On Deck: Centennial Blonde, Midnight IIPA
Primary: SMaSH Citra/2 Row, KBS Clone
Secondary: ???
Kegged:
Bottled: Gulf Oil Spill Stout, Breakfast Stout, Amarillo SMaSH, Orange Wit, RIPA Oak/Bourbon Aged, Barleywine, Apfelwein,

Old 08-04-2010, 12:37 AM   #3
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

The iodophor stains will have no effect on the quality/taste of your beer. The stains will also fade with time.
Sounds line we're married to the same SWMBO (doesn't like beer, likes cider, and wants me to go shopping with her at the most inconvenient times), but I wouldn't want to change her.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:02 AM   #4
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

Show her the equipment, tell her it's ruined and you have to buy new equipment, then use that money to buy other stuff. Anytime she bugs you to go shopping during brew time, point out, "you remember that one time you ruined all my equipment?"

Old 08-04-2010, 02:04 AM   #5
stdwdh16
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster View Post
Show her the equipment, tell her it's ruined and you have to buy new equipment, then use that money to buy other stuff. Anytime she bugs you to go shopping during brew time, point out, "you remember that one time you ruined all my equipment?"
LOL! That is a great idea. My only problem with that is that I would feel guilty. She has been extremely supportive of my brewing despite not liking beer and living in a cramped one bedroom apartment. But I will definitely keep that one in mind. Too bad my fermenter already has more beer in it.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:13 AM   #6
likwidbliss
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You can guilt the SWMBO. FYI a small amount of iodine in the diet is necessary.

An enlarged thyroid gland, or goitre, isn't the only side effect of inadequate iodine in the diet. Other symptoms include dry skin, hair loss, fatigue and slowed reflexes.

spence

Old 08-04-2010, 02:54 AM   #7
Drunkenfool
Recipes 

What the hell does swmbo mean

Old 08-04-2010, 03:14 AM   #8
McFugga
Recipes 

SWMBO- She who must be obeyed. Who else would think that shopping is more important than beer?

Old 08-04-2010, 03:17 AM   #9
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Why should we tell a Drunkenfool?

Try a search. If you still can't find the answer, PM me with 10 possibilities, and I'll let you know.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:28 PM   #10
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Drunkenfool - of course you have your answer, but you really should do a search anyway - there are some hilarious interpretations all over this forum!

Quick Reply