Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Gassy Sample screwing up SG?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2012, 12:28 AM   #1
Moltenink
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Gassy Sample screwing up SG?

So 3 days fermenting my very first brew and i decided to take an SG sample. Also to taste it and see if there are any off flavors that might indicate infection...

So sue me I'm a little impatient ;P

OG was 1043
SG is 1013

That seems awfully low, awfully quick... Could the carbonation in the sample be screwing with my SG?

Been fermenting at 22℃

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 12:30 AM   #2
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Swirl the hydrometer in order to get any bubbles off of it. However, sometimes fermentation is done in 3 days, especially with certain yeasts. You'll want to leave it on the yeast cake for a while, let the yeast clean up the beer some.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:34 AM   #3
Moltenink
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Oh definitely. Its still really cloudy. I just saw the surface foam dying away and thought out with the croisin (sp?) collar and lets take a sample. I'll likely give it another 6 days before I bottle it.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:39 AM   #4
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Disolved CO2 in the beer will give you a false low SG, generally if you take a sample that might still be fermenting, it's a good idea to pour it back and forth between to vessels and let it foam up and then settle before taking the reading.... but you are probably done with primary fermentation anyway, or close to it. 3 days is not unusual at all.

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Old 02-20-2012, 12:41 AM   #5
lee_smn
Recipes 

A small beer like that could definitely ferment in three days, you beer isn't carbonated, it's putting of co2 but it isn't pressurized so it won't stay in solution, and a hydrometer measures dissolved solids so it should be correct, unless there are bubbles stuck to the hydrometer.

I know how it is when you're starting, but I wouldn't put much stock in taste this early, if it still has kreusen you'll be tasting yeast that will fall out later and the flavor will change.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:45 AM   #6
Quadrupled
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 108

In regards to carbonation causing error when testing the SG, I learned from another HBT member to pour the sample between two cups several times when taking your SG. I tried the no-pour vs multi-pour method and found my SG to drop around 4 points in highly carbonated samples.

As for your beer, do what usfmikeb said and leave it your fermenter for a good 2 weeks to let the yeast do their job.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:05 AM   #7
Moltenink
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks a ton guys. I'm anxious and excited to be starting out with home brewing. I'll give the repeated pouring a shot on my SG a few days from now.

The sample tasted pretty good, all things considered... even this early it's better tasting then the "premium" garbage they're selling at my local beer store. I can't wait to brew something a little more interesting soon... But for now i'll keep at the ales so I can really get the process down.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:13 AM   #8
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_smn View Post
you beer isn't carbonated, it's putting of co2 but it isn't pressurized so it won't stay in solution, and a hydrometer measures dissolved solids so it should be correct, unless there are bubbles stuck to the hydrometer.
hydrometer measures the density of the liquid, if there is any CO2 dissolved in it, such as during active ferment it will be less dense as a result and give a false low SG.

While the beer may not be "carbonated" in the sense of drinkable, if it hasn't had a chance to totally de-gas there will be some in solution. It can take a day or two after active ferment is complete for this to happen.

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Quick Reply