Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Gasket fell into wort- did I ruin my beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #11
m_stodd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 38 Posts

I had to double check to make sure I wasn't the OP. I made a Hairy Arm Pale Ale over the summer while looking for part of my auto-siphon. With a sanitized arm the beer turned out fine, and I ended up finding the part on my kitchen counter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 09:54 PM   #12
Ghost1220
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Did the same exact thing with my first batch. Fished it out with a sanitized spoon. Came out fantastic.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:00 PM   #13
jsguitar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 504

Hey! I thought I just posted that!

Old 11-15-2012, 10:01 PM   #14
brewmastercontrols
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Ill bet my next batch you will not notice a thing...

Old 11-15-2012, 10:06 PM   #15
Doctor_Wily
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_stodd View Post
I had to double check to make sure I wasn't the OP. I made a Hairy Arm Pale Ale over the summer while looking for part of my auto-siphon. With a sanitized arm the beer turned out fine, and I ended up finding the part on my kitchen counter.
I actually lol'd at that (and I'm at work, funny looks all around)
Latium Talk- A site dedicated to discussion of Latium cryptocurrency. 5 free Latium coin with sign up!

~~Updated Jul 08 ~~

Old 11-15-2012, 10:50 PM   #16
WiseEyes
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

On my second batch I ever made I dropped the bottle caps into the bottling bucket and without thinking stuffed my whole arm into the beer sleeve and all (don't ask). It turned out to be one of the best extract beers I ever made

Old 11-16-2012, 08:16 AM   #17
WhiskeyMike
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place but, I don't know how to start my own thread. I need some advice please. I just finished my first all grain brew. It went well until the wort chilling. I'm brewing a a Bud Light clone, (to peak the wife's intrest to loosen the purse strings for a brew stand). I borrowed a copper wort chiller from my friend who introduced me to brewing. While chilling the wort, at about 80 degrees, it went very wrong. The exhaust side hose clamp was loose, and water, "squirted", into the wort. I quickly pulled the chiller out, but the hose came off the chiller, and further contaminated the wort. I did not know what to do, so I put the wort back on the burner, and brought it back to a boil. I fixed the chiller, resanitized it, and rechilled the wort. I transfered to the carboy, cast the yeast, put on the airlock, and hoped for the best. That was three days ago. The first two days, there was an aggresive fermentation. The wort in now very cloudy, and the airlock has almost stopped. The kroisen is a wierd greenish/brown color. Is it ruined? What should I have done to save this brew?

Old 11-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #18
Doctor_Wily
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

how long was it boiled? if you go to the beginners page there is a "new thread" option at the top left above the announcements.

Latium Talk- A site dedicated to discussion of Latium cryptocurrency. 5 free Latium coin with sign up!

~~Updated Jul 08 ~~

Old 11-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #19
WhiskeyMike
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

The initial boil was for 60 min., but the second was for just a couple of minutes. I have read other post here that say that the airlock is not a good indication of fermentation. The airlock has stopped completely.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #20
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 710 Posts
Likes Given: 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyMike View Post
The initial boil was for 60 min., but the second was for just a couple of minutes. I have read other post here that say that the airlock is not a good indication of fermentation. The airlock has stopped completely.
Not a problem. The ale yeast goes through the sugars pretty fast and in the process they emit CO2. Once the sugars are gone the yeast start in on the intermediate compounds that they have made and they give off no CO2 during this part of the ferment. There is activity in the beer but nothing that shows to the outside. Relax, have a cold one, and let the yeast finish the process. From start to finish may be anywhere from 10 days to 10 weeks depending on the OG and the amount and color of steeping grains with the darker grains taking more time. it won't hurt your beer to stay in the fermenter longer than the minimum time either. I left a brown ale for 9 weeks and got a really smooth beer from that.

Quick Reply