Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Gasket fell into wort- did I ruin my beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 09:05 PM   #1
stevedore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Gasket fell into wort- did I ruin my beer?

Another 'Did I ruin my beer' thread- looked through the stickies.

Was brewing a 5 gal batch of IPA, my second batch (first was with a 1 gal BBS kit). Did everything I needed to do; sanitized everything like there was no tomorrow and continually washed my hands with antibacterial soap and sanitizer (I'm a med student and a rotation on the surgery service got me in the habit of keeping sterile) between steps.

My primary is a 6.5 gal plastic bucket. When it came time to put the airlock on, I made the mistake of forcing the airlock into the rubber gasket on the cover while it was on the bucket, which made it fall into the wort. I flipped out and thought about washing/sanitizing a pair of metal tongs or serving spoon to look for the gasket. But I didn't want to scrape up the plastic surfaces and it would have taken forever to blindly grasp at it. And maybe since I was mildly drunk (DWB ya know) I decided to wash my right arm with soap and sanitizer, and stick my arm in there to find the gasket.

In retrospect, it was dumb as hell. Even though I'd been washing the crap out of my hands and using sanitizer on everything, I feel that all it would take is some bacteria hiding in my fingernails. What I should have done was to get a clean trash bag, sanitize it and wrap it around my arm before sticking it in there.

It's been 4 days and fermentation is proceeding as expected. Consistent bubbling in the airlock with a good aroma and slowing down as time goes along. But what do I need to be looking for as clear signs that my beer is ruined, at this point in time? Or is the proof only going to be in the pudding?

I tell myself that my continuous hand-washing and sanitizing equipment/hands gives this batch a fighting shot, but how screwed am I? Anyone have a similar brain fart experience, and how did it go?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
Doctor_Wily
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

you're probably fine, I've reached in (not quite that far) when taking hydro samples and haven't had an infection. Just keep an eye on it and if it starts to grow a fur coat, you are likely in trouble.

Latium Talk- A site dedicated to discussion of Latium cryptocurrency. 5 free Latium coin with sign up!

~~Updated Jul 08 ~~

Old 11-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

It should be fine.

The best answer would have been to leave the gasket in there and maybe take a wrap of electric tape around the stem of the airlock to seal it.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Old 11-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
logan3825
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I think any soap you didn't rinse off may be more of a problem than an infection would. I have fermented in buckets I forgot to sanitize and didn't have any problems. You can do a quick search and see many bigger mistakes people have made and still had their beer turn out.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
stevedore
Recipes 

That's an awesome thread.. hopefully it should be okay.

Feeling a bit better about all this. I agree, I probably should have left the gasket in there. Wasn't sure what else I could do other than the trashbag idea that I belatedly thought of after the fact. I suppose taping it to get a good seal would have done the trick.

I'll let you guys know in a month how it turns out!

Old 11-15-2012, 09:16 PM   #6
GASoline71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I did the exact same thing the first time I brewed with a bucket fermenter. Star-san'd my hand and arm and went in after it.

It was a Hefeweizen... it has by far been the best Hefe I've ever brewed. So... I wouldn't worry too much.

Gary

"Brewed Fresh from the North End of Puget Sound"

Old 11-15-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
Doctor_Wily
Recipes 

keep us posted, it'll likely be fine. RDWHAHB.

Latium Talk- A site dedicated to discussion of Latium cryptocurrency. 5 free Latium coin with sign up!

~~Updated Jul 08 ~~

Old 11-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #8
Doctor_Wily
Recipes 

from the thread logan posted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBeer View Post
I was moving my kettle to a bucket of ice for cooling and my dial thermometer popped off the rim and fell into the wort.
Without really thinking I sprayed my arm with StarSan and fish it out. I continued the process normally
but was pissed that I let that happen. It's been about 7 weeks now and the beer tastes excellent, and getting better each day.

~~Updated Jul 08 ~~

Old 11-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #9
stevedore
Recipes 

Belatedly just saw these "similar threads" under the quick reply.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/did-...y-wort-296482/

That plus everyone's comments make me feel tons better now. At least I washed my arm and sanitized it before sticking it in there. Looking forward to tasting the brew in a month.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #10
logan3825
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Wort pH, the antibacterial nature of hops and yeast eating up all the sugars before most bacteria get a chance to, make it really tough to get an infection unless you step pretty far out of line.

Quick Reply