New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > A gallon short...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
JosR
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default A gallon short...

Brewed my first all-grain batch last week. A 5.5-gallon proter. After mashing and sparging (good conversion) I ended up with about 7-plus gallons and boiled for 100 mins down to what I had estimated to be 6 gallons. After 7 days primary fermentation, I transferred the batch to a carboy for secondary and end up with about 4.5 gallons. My OG was 1.072. I didn't take a SG at the transfer. Should I just go with the 4.5 gallons or top it off with additional (boiled/cooled) water...or what?

Thanks

Joe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 376 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 535

What's it taste like? If your happy with it...let it be. In the future mark your primary fermenter with a sharpie at 5 gallons. (Use water to do a test run first)

Old 04-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #3
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 209 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 96

What was your target OG? I personally would let it ride.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
Gixxer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Not unless there is really something crazy going on with my batch, I do not add water to a batch after it is already fermenting. If you hit your target OG then the volume losses are just that. A loss. Just remember you have 4.5gl instead of 5.5 when you prime for bottling (if you bottle that is).

On Deck Westy 12 (19X), Pumpkin Ale 2014, FBS clone, Port oaked amber, Old Rasputin Clone, 15% RIS

Old 04-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #5
JosR
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer
Not unless there is really something crazy going on with my batch, I do not add water to a batch after it is already fermenting. If you hit your target OG then the volume losses are just that. A loss. Just remember you have 4.5gl instead of 5.5 when you prime for bottling (if you bottle that is).
Thanks guys. My OG was within, but on the high end of the target range for the recipe. My bucket has gallon markings but I was focused on the boil volume, which I estimated with depth graduations that I had etched on to my stainless big spoon. I was worried I had too much. Possibly an error my method there. It tastes good, if a bit hoppier than I had wanted, but that's the recipe, not a volume issue.

I'm going to let it ride as is for a week then take a SG reading and bottle, if it's ready. Good point about cutting back on the priming sugar. I probably wouldn't have thought of that. Thanks

Joe

Quick Reply