Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > "Fuzzy Fermentation"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2006, 12:52 AM   #1
MNBugeater
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default "Fuzzy Fermentation"

I brewed a wheat beer last night and the fermentation started in earnest today but it looks a lot different than my last brews. There are "fuzzy, or furry clumps" floating on top and circulating in the carboy. I have seen the convection before of small particles, yeast, maybe some trub, etc, but nothing like this. I did use whole leafs this time however I thought I filtered most if not all out.

I am worried about an obvious contamination with the "furry" things in my beer. Is this normal, or did I screw something up along the way?? Thanks

MNBugeater

On Tap: Blonde Ale, Apfelwein, Cinnamon Apfelwein, Amber Ale, Irish Red
Bottled: Porter, Wheat, Barleywine, Cranberry Apfelwein, Amber Ale
Buy Bugeater Brewery Gear

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2006, 02:44 AM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've seen some strange yeast pies floating around over the years, but what I've learned about each one of them is...NEVER judge a book by its cover.

Let it do its stuff. When, or in this case, BEFORE you rack to the secondary take a sample, measure the gravity and take a drink. If it tastes good rack it!

Old 01-27-2006, 02:48 AM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

Different yeasts have different growth patterns. It's fine.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-27-2006, 03:48 PM   #4
MNBugeater

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks for the peice of mind. I also remembered, this was the first time I have used a liquid yeast pack, so I imagine there are a lot more yeast cells than normal so I am seeing alot more activity. My wife looked at it this morning and said "Your beer is boiling" becuase it is swirling vary quickly and with all the yeast and trub spinning in there, it looks like its boiling.

Thanks Again.

On Tap: Blonde Ale, Apfelwein, Cinnamon Apfelwein, Amber Ale, Irish Red
Bottled: Porter, Wheat, Barleywine, Cranberry Apfelwein, Amber Ale
Buy Bugeater Brewery Gear

Old 01-27-2006, 03:51 PM   #5
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Another thing is that it's a wheat beer...I've noticed some kooky stuff with wheat beer due to the proteins left in suspension which might be part of the clumpiness you see.

Old 01-28-2006, 02:47 AM   #6
rewster451

Recipes 

Oatmeal does some wacky stuff too. After all the crazy things I've seen yeast and sediment do I don't worry unless the sample tastes or smells bad, which fortunately, it never has yet. Knock on wood.

Up next: Big Brew Off competition between me and Kaptain Karma as one team, and my two roommates as another--We'll be brewing Pale Ales with specifications on malts, hops, and total yeild to see who's version is better (and to end up with ten total gallons of great beer).
Also up soon: Belgian Dubbel
Primary: Grampa's Woodshed Apple Smoked Porter
Secondary: Zombiefoot California Common, Chocolate Strong Porter
Drinking: Seamus O'Drunkagan Irish Red, Humble Pie Imperial Stout, Capricorn IPA

Quick Reply