Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > funny taste in my beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2008, 06:24 PM   #1
addis29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default funny taste in my beer

Brewed an american ale has been bottled for a little over 3 weeks. The beer has a taste I can only describe as a dry sort of champagne taste. Anyone have any ideas to what happened?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2008, 06:31 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Well since you waited for 3 weeks for the most part we can rule out it being green, though it could still maybe need more time to condition...

What temp did you ferment it or store it at? Instead of champagne like, would you say it tasted "Alcoholy?" That could be a sign of too high of a temp.

What yeast did you use? SOme yeasts can lend a taste like that as well...

Best case...leave it to bottle condition a couple more weeks...It still might need to shake out some of the off flavors...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 02-18-2008 at 06:37 PM.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:39 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Here's a "Diagnose My off Flavor" website...see if you find a description like what you're experiencing.

http://www.homebrewzone.com/off-flavors.htm

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-18-2008, 06:46 PM   #4
addis29
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default taste

The temperature during fermentation and storage is about 69 degrees. I do not believe it is a alcoholy taste, maybe a wine taste describes it a little better. I did have some oxygen bubbles when racking the beer. my siphoning got a little screwed up and I noticed some bubbling. Thanks for any advice, this was my first batch.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:32 PM   #5
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

its quite possible you have very few unfermentable sugars in the original wort, so it fermented very completely, leaving you with a dry beer.

Beer, just like wine, can be described as Sweet or Dry, malty or hoppy, balanced, etc.

I'm not convinced this is any kind of 'off flavor'.

What was the OG ,and what was the FG at bottling?

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 02-18-2008, 10:55 PM   #6
Britski
Recipes 

From personal experience, that was caused by using sugar. I quit using sugar and that went away.

Quick Reply