The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Funky taste with extract, gone with all-grain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #21
bobbrewedit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I should add that you rinse the grain, or sparge to get up to your boil volume after you are done mashing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #22
bobbrewedit
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 15

The best thing you can do is try it. Keep 6 lbs of DME on hand in case your gravity ends up too low, you can add it to hit your number.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #23
Clonefan94
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 180 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 44

This just occurred to me, but I've read on here of people having extract batches stop at 1.02ish quite a few times. A lot of that seems to have been chalked up to an extract thing. Could it be that there is something, in the extract process, from grain to wort to extract to wort, that has an effect on chemistry, enough that it becomes harder for yeast to digest? Therefore, if everything isn't perfect, you start to stress the yeast enough to put off flavors in the beer, stop fermenting before they should, etc.?

I am by far not a chemist, nor anything other than a beginning home brewer, but it seems this is so common, ther has to be something to it. Freshness I'm sure plays a big part as well, but maybe the true shelf life is a lot less than people think.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #24
Brewsit
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Really, it's easier to explain in person while doing it... just fly out here and we will brew a batch! I'm doing one Sunday.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #25
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1295

I've only had one stop at 1.020,& I got that one going again. It was a bigger beer though. I still think it's process related to an extent. Other times,I think they wind up with too many unfermentable long chain sugars in it. And to the OP,you sait it was solvent like,so I showed the part of the troubleshooting page relating to that. I hope you nail it down. It's not the ingredients. It's def process related.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #26
michael_mus
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsit View Post
Really, it's easier to explain in person while doing it... just fly out here and we will brew a batch! I'm doing one Sunday.
I'm blown away by your simple description already. Really puts 2 + 2 together in a lot of ways.

Seriously, can't thank you enough for clearing that up.

You're absolutely right, I say near-boil and mean 150.

So these Igloo gatorade "mash tun" I keep seeing - Those are the equivalent of my 8 quart pot I'm using now to steep the grains in?

Old 02-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #27
Brewsit
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
This just occurred to me, but I've read on here of people having extract batches stop at 1.02ish quite a few times. A lot of that seems to have been chalked up to an extract thing. Could it be that there is something, in the extract process, from grain to wort to extract to wort, that has an effect on chemistry, enough that it becomes harder for yeast to digest? Therefore, if everything isn't perfect, you start to stress the yeast enough to put off flavors in the beer, stop fermenting before they should, etc.?

I am by far not a chemist, nor anything other than a beginning home brewer, but it seems this is so common, ther has to be something to it. Freshness I'm sure plays a big part as well, but maybe the true shelf life is a lot less than people think.
Think of the difference between all-grain and extract like this: Using the same recipe for (insert delicous dish here), for all-grain, you use fresh, never frozen, raw meat, and for an extract, you use frozen pre-cooked/seasoned cuts.

By using the raw ingredients, you can control a lot more variables (seasonings used, freshness, doneness of the meat), but you might screw it up completely if you don't follow the recipe very well. Using the frozen cuts, you can get a similar product a lot quicker, less effort, and less room for failure (overseasoning, etc), but you can't control much of the process.

You get a meal out of both, but each has its benefits and drawbacks.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #28
BxBrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post

I think i know what it is. Im doing a brew day today "going to take pics and post my process on here". Once i'm done and post i will fill in why i think this happens.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #29
Brewsit
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_mus View Post
I'm blown away by your simple description already. Really puts 2 + 2 together in a lot of ways.

Seriously, can't thank you enough for clearing that up.

You're absolutely right, I say near-boil and mean 150.

So these Igloo gatorade "mash tun" I keep seeing - Those are the equivalent of my 8 quart pot I'm using now to steep the grains in?
For sure! And yes, the Igloo is a popular way to make a mash tun. You should read some of the stickies for all-grain, there's a ton of great info. There's also a ton of threads for all-grain setups, to give you an idea of what you might want to build for yourself. The choices are infinite!
Old 02-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #30
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1295

@ brewsit-Your anology fits kit-n-kilo beers more accurately. but when you start mixing & matching extracts,hops,etc they can be much better indeed. so that statement isn't 100% accurate.

Quick Reply