Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Funky over ripe smell/taste

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2009, 05:06 PM   #1
garf6819
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Funky over ripe smell/taste

I just opened my first bottle of Belgian Wheat and it smells and tastes nasty. I had almost asked my son to throw out his gym socks that were laying on the floor until I realized it wasn't his socks that smelled but instead my beer. When I racked it from the primary last week the bucket had a hint of this funky almost a bad fruit smell. I have poked around and have seen some people speak of fermentation temps being to high. I had it in the primary for 2 weeks and racked it to (6)bottles and a keg. The corny I am using as a secondary but the bottles have been carbed for about a week. Should I hold a wake or leave it on life support?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

If its only been a week wait. What was your fermentation temps?

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 02-20-2009, 05:12 PM   #3
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 17

One week is definitely not enough time to form an opinion.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 02-20-2009, 05:18 PM   #4
garf6819
Recipes 

I love you guys. I knew there was still hope in those little yeasties. My fermentation temp was not higher than 74f but never got below 68f.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:19 PM   #5
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Even if the bottles never taste right, the keg will likely taste different since you're bulk aging in there.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 02-20-2009, 06:32 PM   #6
snailsongs
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

IF you used the White Labs Belgian Wit strain (or equivalent Wyeast strain), that funky ripe smell is normal. I had the same experience; I thought that my beer had turned to baby poop (ie. half digested fruit puree smell) and was horrified, then later in the week I was at a brew pub and had their belgian wit and noticed the exact same note in their beer, only it was actually at a pleasant level that worked to the beer's advantage......so hold out and let is rest a bit, it should get better.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:12 PM   #7
garf6819
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snailsongs View Post
IF you used the White Labs Belgian Wit strain (or equivalent Wyeast strain), that funky ripe smell is normal. I had the same experience; I thought that my beer had turned to baby poop (ie. half digested fruit puree smell) and was horrified, then later in the week I was at a brew pub and had their belgian wit and noticed the exact same note in their beer, only it was actually at a pleasant level that worked to the beer's advantage......so hold out and let is rest a bit, it should get better.
I used a dry yeast packet (I don't have a clue the brand) but you pretty much dead nailed the smell. I will hold on a while and pray to the beer gods. Thanks everyone

Old 03-08-2009, 01:14 PM   #8
garf6819
Recipes 

Update... I now have 3 batches that all have this odor/flavor. HMMM... OXYCLEAN ! I am not rinsing enough. I have used OXYCLEAN to clean the bottles and buckets. I know the bottles are well rinsed but the buckets have been neglected.

I'm not 100% sure but I was able to deduce this because I bought a brand new bucket and I made extra sure that everything was well cleaned and sanitized but as I look back I didn't rinse the bucket well.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:38 PM   #9
garf6819
Recipes 

Default Update

It has been 3 months and the beer that I decided to keep has turned out nicely. I kept a few in the fridge and a few on the shelf and both taste as expected.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:12 AM   #10
Rogmatic
Recipes 

I'm having this same issue, every beer I brew has that funky ripe fruity taste and aroma. Up to now, I've been brewing exclusively in a plastic bucket and plastic carboy, but I brewed a batch last night and threw it in my new glass carboy, hopefully that will make a difference. I've been using plain old notty's for yeast. My fermentation temps are definitely not too high. (A little low, if anything; basement + canada = chilly).

Quick Reply