Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Full or partial boil?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
arborman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default Full or partial boil?

So, I'm going for my first brew day in over 20 years. I've geared up and have got everything I think I need. Question: I've got a 10 gallon kettle, so should I go for a full boil? My kit says to start with 2 1/2 gallons and then top off. What would you guys recommend for me to do? I've read full boils are the better way to go, and seems like it might be easier since ill leave one step out of the process. I guess a boil over might be easier to happen since pot is fuller? thanks!plowill

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
cooper
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Go full boil definitely. But, if you have steeping grains make sure you steep them in 1.5 to 2 gallons before you top it off up to 5 gallons and add your extract. The reason is if you steep your grains in the full five gallons the PH will likely be too high for the grain to water ratio and it will extract tannins. So steep, add the DME/LME and then top up to 5.5 or 6 gallons and start your boil.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:58 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

A full boil is definitely preferable- but make sure you can chill 5 gallons of boiling wort! It's not hard to chill 2 gallons of boiling wort in an ice bath, but 5 gallons takes a lot longer as well as being heavy and harder to chill.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
twistr25
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I do 5 gallon full boil batches in a 7.5 gallon pot and have managed to avoid a boil over so far. I have to watch it like a hawk, but no issues yet. So 10 gallon pot, as long as you pay attention, you should have no issues with boil overs even with full boils.

Future:Who Knows
2013 Previous: Sunrise Honey Rye Pale Ale, Dark Skies Black IPA, Sunset Orange Kolsch, All Hallow's Eve Pumpkin Ale, Raining Hops and Dogs IPA

Awards/Recognition
Dark Skies Black IPA - 2nd Place at a local comp. Score of 39 from a BJCP judge

Twistr25 Recipes

GT Keezer Build

Old 01-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #5
arborman
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like I'm gonna go for a full boil. Hopefully the wort chiller I got will be adequate enough to cool the wort down, we don't have an ice maker!

Old 01-14-2013, 10:48 PM   #6
RIC0
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistr25 View Post
I do 5 gallon full boil batches in a 7.5 gallon pot and have managed to avoid a boil over so far. I have to watch it like a hawk, but no issues yet. So 10 gallon pot, as long as you pay attention, you should have no issues with boil overs even with full boils.
can't agree more.

*** Possum Trot Brewery ***

Beer Primary - Butthead Belgian
Beer Secondary - Belgian Tripel

Bottled - Big Breakfast Stout - Belgian IPA - Butthead Belgian White - Redneck Red - Moose Drool - Dirty Dubbel

Mead Primary - Nuttin
Bottled - Strawberry Trainwreck - Orange Spice - Blueberry Trainwreck

Quick Reply