Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Full Boils quick question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2007, 02:51 AM   #1
kingjam
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Full Boils quick question

Are full boils (5gal.) just for all grain. Or can you do an extract recipe in the full 5 gal, chill it with the copper wort chiller and be ready to go. That cuts the step out of adding more water (from2.5gal to5 gal)? Right? When you read extract recipes they say to just boil 2.5 gal then add the rest (to = 5gal.) This is the kit I want which comes with a copper wort chiller but i Want to do alot of extract recipes before moving to all grain. Is this kit over kill? http://www.homebrewery.com/beer/beer...luxe-kit.shtml
Thanks in advance

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2007, 03:02 AM   #2
desiderata

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjam
Are full boils (5gal.) just for all grain. Or can you do an extract recipe in the full 5 gal, chill it with the copper wort chiller and be ready to go. That cuts the step out of adding more water (from2.5gal to5 gal)? Right? When you read extract recipes they say to just boil 2.5 gal then add the rest (to = 5gal.) This is the kit I want which comes with a copper wort chiller but i Want to do alot of extract recipes before moving to all grain. Is this kit over kill? http://www.homebrewery.com/beer/beer...luxe-kit.shtml
Thanks in advance
No, you can do full boils with extract as well. it will save you from adding the topoff water, but may cancel out b/c it will take longer to bring to a boil, and to cool off. Also, if you're brewing indoors, which i'm assuming you are, then kitchen stoves may not be good enough to heat up a full boil. Although, your beer may benefit from hop utilization in a full boil--i'm no expert here, but maybe a more experienced brewer will explain the benefits of full boil, or do a search.

As for the kit, I think it is excellent, if you have the money. Go for it; all the items are useful. just remember the note that you will need a hose adapter for your sink faucet.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:07 AM   #3
kingjam
Recipes 

I have a SS 9 gal. pot on a out door turkey burner.(plenty of heat) I just did not know if the extract was better boiled in a smaller amount of water sence no recipes say to do a full boil with a extract. (Or thats what i have read). Because i am getting a kit with a wort chiller and i have the stuff to do 5 gal. boils I should do full boils right?

Old 03-06-2007, 03:20 AM   #4
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

The full boils will make your extract beer better. I think it's the biggest thing you can do to improve your beer as a beginner. As long as you have the pot and the heat, there is really no reason NOT to do a full boil.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:27 AM   #5
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

On the other hand, extracts have already been boiled once. There's no reason to overdo it.

The primary reason to boil for another full hour is for bittering hop extraction.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:49 AM   #6
Radarbrew
Recipes 

Location: Alaska, Honey, there's a moose on the back porch again!
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I personally stopped doing full boils with an extract beer. Maybe 2 gallons and I don't boil the extract. Only when I use any specialty grains. It seemed to make a darker beer than I wanted. It also simplified the process for me, since I just chill it with a snowbank at the current time. (hey, free ice) Anyhow, I guess either method does what it does, and what works for you is all good. Experiment and taste, repeat.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:55 AM   #7
gruntingfrog
Recipes 

When switching from a partial boil to a full boil, make sure you change your aeration techniques. With a partial boil, you probably don't pay much attention to aeration because the top off water contains oxygen, and the act of pouring into the wort adds more oxygen if you splash while doing it. With a full boil, you are removing all the oxygen from the wort and not adding any back in. I do the following with mine...

1. Sanitize your bottling bucket and a carboy while the wort is boiling.
2. After cooling the wort, pour it into the bottling bucket with much wailing and gnashing of teeth... ahem... I mean splashing.
3. Pour the beer into the carboy using a large funnel which will help add even more oxygen.

This works well for me and doesn't require me shaking my carboy or buying a pump and air stone.

Up Next: Belgian Dubbel, English Pale Ale
Fermenter 1: Blonde Ale Experiment 1 | Fermenter 2: Blonde Ale Experiment 2 | Fermenter 3: Northern English Brown | Fermenter 4: Nothing
Keg 1: Nothing | Keg 2: Nothing | Keg 3: Nothing
Bottled: Nothing

Old 03-06-2007, 04:16 AM   #8
kingjam
Recipes 

Ok so if I do a full boil (with extract) Iam going to get a darker/Richer beer but i have to aerate when i move to fermenter. But if I do a partial iam going to get what the beer should taste like??????? Now this goes back to my first question do I need all this stuff to do alot of extract beers http://www.homebrewery.com/beer/beer...luxe-kit.shtml

Old 03-06-2007, 04:25 AM   #9
Rook
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I haven't seen anyone post about the changing characteristics of hops in different amounts of water.

Usually the hops will be more bitter in larger amounts of water, so make sure you are cognizant of that.

I just did my first full boil and my first partial mash on sunday.

I was pretty impressed with how quickly the full wort could be cooled. 8 minutes from boiling to 70 degrees. I found that constant stirring of the wort in combination with the immersion chiller did a great job.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:49 AM   #10
kingjam
Recipes 

Ok well this is the recipe kit i want to use first http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...roducts_id=365 should i do a full boil or a partial???

Quick Reply