The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > full boil without a wort chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
spiffcow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default full boil without a wort chiller

So I'm hoping to do a brew this weekend, and I really don't have money for a wort chiller right now. How long does it take to cool using a typical water/ice bath method? I won't have much ice, so I was thinking cool twice in water, then a third time in ice water. Is this feasible? Is it going to take all day?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
GroosBrewz
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffcow View Post
So I'm hoping to do a brew this weekend, and I really don't have money for a wort chiller right now. How long does it take to cool using a typical water/ice bath method? I won't have much ice, so I was thinking cool twice in water, then a third time in ice water. Is this feasible? Is it going to take all day?
My guess is that it's going to take 45 minutes to an hour easily.. And you are going to have shake/swirl/stir constantly.. I've done it before and it took close to an hour in a think aluminum pot.. A thicker stainless pot may take longer.. The more water you have around the kettle (ie, a bathub or a deep sink) the faster it will go.. Good luck...

Tap 1- JubelAle Clone
Tap 2- Evening Bite Pale Ale
Tap 3- Twilight Clone
Tap 4- Dicks Danger Ale Clone

"Today I felt like burning some calories....So I found a fat kid and set him on fire"

Old 10-22-2010, 05:46 PM   #3
spiffcow
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroosBrewz View Post
My guess is that it's going to take 45 minutes to an hour easily.. And you are going to have shake/swirl/stir constantly.. I've done it before and it took close to an hour in a think aluminum pot.. A thicker stainless pot may take longer.. The more water you have around the kettle (ie, a bathub or a deep sink) the faster it will go.. Good luck...
Mine is a really thin aluminum pot.. I think I'm good as far as amount of water goes -- I've got a metal trashcan i was just going to fill with water. I'm starting to worry more about safety, though.. Carrying 212* 50 lb pot could get dangerous.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:51 PM   #4
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The most important thing to do is keep the water, and wort, moving. I'd plan on replacing the water often, not twice. Ice near the end is a good idea.

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
RRxGrasshopper
Recipes 

I bought 20lbs of ice from the supermarket and filled the sink with it. Put the pot in fully immersed in ICE and stirred the wort keeping it moving and adding ice as it melts quickly. Took all of 25-30 minutes and I was down in 75 degees so I could rak to primary. I've done this 3 times and nothing bad has happened. knock on wood

Old 10-22-2010, 06:57 PM   #6
KevinW
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

An idea, you could freeze some 2 liter bottles filled with water and after sanitzing them put one in each hand and stir the wort with them (gently of course). That should drop the temp very quickly then the ice bath could be more effective.

Good luck!!

“I don't drink beer all the time but I can drink (a) beer anytime" - Me

Old 10-22-2010, 07:02 PM   #7
CaptKiRkLeS
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxGrasshopper View Post
I bought 20lbs of ice from the supermarket and filled the sink with it. Put the pot in fully immersed in ICE and stirred the wort keeping it moving and adding ice as it melts quickly. Took all of 25-30 minutes and I was down in 75 degees so I could rak to primary. I've done this 3 times and nothing bad has happened. knock on wood
RRX, I don't know how much ice is near you but 20# of ice for each brew adds up...quick. Would't it be more feasable for an IC or something similar?

Spiff - Definitly freeze up some water bottles. I did a fullboil ice bath once, it took about 40 minutes. It doesn't take forever but you need to be careful.

That will help big time.

Brew on!

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!

Old 10-22-2010, 07:07 PM   #8
tunoffun
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

IMO, the relatively minor benefits you might get out of a full volume boil are easily outweighed by the potentially major detriments of not being able to cool the wort down quickly. I personally wouldn't do a full-volume boil until I had the means to cool it down in a reasonable timeframe.

Another issue worth considering is how you're going to safely transfer 5 gallons or so of boiling hot liquid to the sink / bathtub / whatever.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:12 PM   #9
devilishprune
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I have always done full boils, and before I had a wort chiller I carried the pot into the bathroom and stuck it in the tub filled with tap water. This way, it took nearly an hour to do, but it works. Freeze some two liters or milk jugs the night before and throw them in after you have cooled it initially with the tap water and you can save some ice.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:27 PM   #10
JumboBlimpJumbo
Recipes 

You could save yourself some trouble and just do a no chill. I've done this for my last 7 brews and they have all turned out great. All you need to do is pour your wort into a sanitized plastic bucket directly after flame out, put vodka in a 3 piece airlock with a vodka soaked cotton ball in between the riser and the bubble cap, and let it cool overnight, then pitch your yeast. The only problem for you would be trying to dump 5 gallons of boiling liquid without burning yourself. I have a spigot in my brew kettle and use a silicone hose that can handle the heat. If you don't have a plastic bucket though I wouldn't do this with a carboy because it would probably break.

This thread is way too long to read through, but basically there are a lot of different ways to go about it and it seems like everyone that tries it gets good results. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/expl...rewing-117111/

Quick Reply